PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Javascript recent Automatic update

symiggy
29-11-2008, 05:13 PM
Yesterday I received a message in my system tray to the effect that Java runtime needed to update itself to which I agreed.

The new version which downloaded and installed is:

Version 6 Update 10 (build 1.6.0_10-b33)

The download and subsequent installation seemed to proceed normally without any hitch and I am able to access the "Java Control Panel window" from Windows Control panel and everything looks normal although I am really not sure what the settings mean and neither have I changed any of them.

Since the update some web pages do not display properly including this one. Specifically the top of the page is blank with with a column of dots and dashes showing.

In addition I know that there is an update to the program "CCleaner" available...in the past I would have received an automatic reminder to update CCleaner as soon as I opened the program. Today no automatic Update Checker appeared, and when I pressed the "Check for Updates..." box at the bottom right of the CCleaner window, I was immediately directed to the update page for CCleaner but this is what appeared just above the usual download link:

"Thank you for your interest in new versions of CCleaner.
The update checker needs to have javascript enabled to work."

My question is how do I enable javascript?
In the past simply downloading and installing updates naturally enabled it.

Many thanks for your help and suggestions. :confused:

Speedy Gonzales
29-11-2008, 05:32 PM
I would have uninstalled the previous version (if the update didnt do it), then install the later version.

I'm getting those dots and dashes in this forum as well. BUT I dont think its the latest version of Java, thats doing it. Since, Java has been installed for a few mths. And these dots / dashes have only just appeared recently ( the last few days - 1-2 days)

symiggy
29-11-2008, 10:18 PM
I would have uninstalled the previous version (if the update didnt do it), then install the later version.

I'm getting those dots and dashes in this forum as well. BUT I dont think its the latest version of Java, thats doing it. Since, Java has been installed for a few mths. And these dots / dashes have only just appeared recently ( the last few days - 1-2 days)

Hi Speedy Gonzales:

I have uninstalled the old Java using Revo Uninstaller following your note.
I also uninstalled the new Java using Revo Uninstaller and then re-installed it again as a fresh install.

But still no difference.

The update Checker for CCleaner (which needs Javascript to be enabled) still does not work.

I use Firefox as my default browser and in Tools> Options > Content tab...the "Enable Java" box is definitely checked.

Does Java need to be enabled within Windows itself?
And if so, can you please tell me how to do that. :help:

Speedy Gonzales
30-11-2008, 06:50 AM
Well, all I do with every new version of Java, is uninstall it, and then delete its folders in documents and settings / program files, then use ccleaner to remove the rest of it.

Then install the latest version

It seems to work fine

autechre
01-12-2008, 09:46 AM
Firstly, are we talking Javascript or Java here? The two seemed to have been muddled up. Javascript is used on most webpages these days for various things and does not change unless you upgrade your browser.
If the appearance of this site has changed, it's most likely Javascript that is off. I don't have Firefox installed to check where the option is, but most likely in the same place as Java.

symiggy
01-12-2008, 01:16 PM
Well, all I do with every new version of Java, is uninstall it, and then delete its folders in documents and settings / program files, then use ccleaner to remove the rest of it.

Then install the latest version

It seems to work fine

Speedy Gnzales:

That is exactly what I did do.
The PC World page seems to load normally now but the automatic update checker for CCleaner still does not work as it always has in the past :groan:

symiggy
01-12-2008, 01:22 PM
Firstly, are we talking Javascript or Java here? The two seemed to have been muddled up. Javascript is used on most webpages these days for various things and does not change unless you upgrade your browser.
If the appearance of this site has changed, it's most likely Javascript that is off. I don't have Firefox installed to check where the option is, but most likely in the same place as Java.

autechre:

Both Javascript and Java are definitely enabled in my installation of Firefox.
Tools > Options > Content Tab > Enable Javascript Box checked. Enable Java Box checked.

symiggy
01-12-2008, 01:30 PM
In Addition I am no longer receiving automatic emails to alert me to the fact that someone has posted a reply to which I am subscribed on this Forum ...which I did receive in the past.
Could this also be a Javascript/Java issue?

Speedy Gonzales
01-12-2008, 01:34 PM
Go to tools / options / content. Make sure the 1st 4 are ticked

symiggy
01-12-2008, 03:53 PM
Go to tools / options / content. Make sure the 1st 4 are ticked

Speedy: All 4 boxes at the top are ticked.