PDA

View Full Version : Cost for RAID justified for an individual user?

Nomad
29-11-2008, 04:01 PM
Hi, I do some photography as a hobby and would like to sell some if I can, some people say I should.

I am upgrading a very old computer, so I am looking at the disks. I am looking at motherboards and found some I really like, one of them have everything I want but not RAID. Now reality sinks in .... I am not going to spend so much for just a computer and new stuff come and go every few years that is worthy of a upgrade.

I thought about the backup formation - mirroring. But is it required? I mean I can just schedule a backup, many photography software can also copy to two diff locations when you download the images.

For striping - is the performance really significant?

There are always photoshop scratch disk and things like that but then we are talking more than 2 physical HDDs .. and thus $$$.

Because if not use RAID I can use the 2nd HDD manually / scheduled copied files.

pctek
29-11-2008, 05:37 PM
Just use either 2 drives normally or use one as an external drive.
Make sure they are Seagates.

Nomad
29-11-2008, 07:35 PM
Thanks.

I won't use RAID now ... cos with mirroring if I delete a file that is also duplicated across.

Between these 2 mobo's is there much difference?
I don't really need eSATA, I'll just conc on internals, I don't care about RAID.

http://ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=368848

http://ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=9365813

Trev
29-11-2008, 10:51 PM
Go for the Asus.
:)

Thebananamonkey
29-11-2008, 11:24 PM
If RAID isn't in the picture, then definitely go for the cheaper one.

I'm not too sure why they place their power connectors where they do on those boards, it's just so in the way. There's probably a simple reason for it, but it seems impractical for end users and cable management.

The only real benefits I see with the second one are the two extra SATA-300's (not that you'd ever use them all), firewire, RAID and the higher memory clocks it supports. If you don't plan on using any of that, then go for the cheaper one.

A quick minimally hijacking question. Why are some SATA ports different colours from others? I've never got that.
Mine has two black and six reds on it.

gary67
30-11-2008, 07:09 AM
At a guess I would say something like black for optical drives and red for HDD but then again I'm just waffling now

Speedy Gonzales
30-11-2008, 07:26 AM
Those mobos have similar features to this one I'm using now (P5Q SE/R)

The 12 USB . The only diff is the P5Q has 8 SATA, this has 6, and thats got firewire onboard. This has a FW card

You could be right Gary

As one user posted here (http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/f22/sata-socket-differences-22033/)

if using intel chipset you have red sata that is normally the standard. the red ports are for boot drives in sata/ide mode and non raid. the black ports are for data drives (non bootable) in sata/ide mode and non raid.

(usually optical, but not restricted) orange is usually designed for raid setups. but sometimes some boards can mix these colors up depending on what options and chipset they have or combine with. and also how you use them from the bios, like maybe in ahci mode.

jmicron/marvell/silicon image add additional sata ports. also some ports can use regular sata hdd when used with their drivers. but you must install them to work. normally intel chipset only supports 4 ports so others are added on by the above makers. in the end your manual should tell you what they are, specifically for your board. because there is no set standard that all mb makers abide by.

R.M.
30-11-2008, 07:29 AM
I'm in a similar situation with photography. I have two internal drives. I have divided my original drive into two - a small one for the OS, a larger one for programmes and other work (not photos). The second internal drive I use for my current photography and 'photography working' files. Then I backup (not mirror) to 2 external drives. Talk about 'belt & braces' but I feel more confident/comfortable with that. I haven't done raid, but probably should have - my system just sort of grows.... :)

I use Seagate (PCTek please note! Also I'm coming to Wyndham today...), external HDDs are coming down in price. However, I recently (this week) bought two more external HDD to set up the above system. I did this for two reasons, one is that my current external is nearly full, and two, I think the cost of electronic gear may well go up shortly. :(

pctek
30-11-2008, 08:37 AM
Between these 2 mobo's is there much difference?

Yes, ones ASUS. Get that one.

stormdragon
30-11-2008, 08:40 AM
Go for the Asus.
:)

Yes, ones ASUS. Get that one.

They both are Asus

Asus P5QL PRO
Asus P5Q