PDA

View Full Version : new mouse problem (to me anyway)

Thomas01
29-11-2008, 03:48 PM
I was helping a neighbour - putting in some programs for her and giving her some tuition.
But I found that Total Commander would not work - and I couldn't get her icons to start the programs.
Eventually I realised that whereas I always expect to use one click with the left hand button on the mouse to open the program - her computer was rigged up so that you have to use the right hand button to open a menu on each and every icon etc and then select OPEN.
Seems a very clumsy long winded method to me - I have never met it before and she certainly did not set it up herself to do that.
Thinking about it now I am home, I wonder if it is some function of her particular mouse. But I don't want to indulge in guess work. I felt daft enough as it was going round to help her and then running into a problem.
Any and all comments very welcome.
Tom

Speedy Gonzales
29-11-2008, 03:53 PM
Does search open when you double click on a folder??

Or didnt anyone try this?

wainuitech
29-11-2008, 04:22 PM
The problem could be the One click to open a program icon.

By default you need to double click the left button to open a icon.

Try looking at the mouse properties in the Control Panel and make sure the settings are correct.

pctek
29-11-2008, 05:41 PM
Sometimes the double click speed is set too fast and that causes it, try slowing it done.

Thomas01
30-11-2008, 10:42 AM
The problem could be the One click to open a program icon.

By default you need to double click the left button to open a icon.

Try looking at the mouse properties in the Control Panel and make sure the settings are correct.

I have been double clicking.

You seem to be thinking the same way as me - its the mouse properties at fault.

I will have to have another look at the computer (running XP) and this time look at the mouse properties first.
I couldn't get Total Commander to work at all apart from coming up on screen with its two screens OK.
Trying to go up the family tree did not work - but I had not at that point realized I had to right click, open the menu and select OPEN.

pctek
01-12-2008, 09:24 AM
Sometimes the double click speed is set too fast and that causes it, try slowing it done.

TRY it.

Thomas01
19-12-2008, 08:57 AM

TRY it.

Dead right pctek
I only got to see the computer again yesterday and I checked the mouse speed. Set as far as it would go to the fast speed I simply set it about half way and the problem disappeared. Works well now. Thanks.
Tom

pctek
19-12-2008, 10:02 AM
I see it often. Superfast mice or something.........