PDA

View Full Version : Please help me connect my pc to tv

jbmcgee
28-11-2008, 05:55 PM
Hi, what I want to do is connect my pc to my tv so I can watch internet videos and movies I have stored on ext hard drives. I recently bought an additional ASUS graphics card to use for this purpose. I want to continue to use my existing graphics card for my monitor. I'm connecting with an hdmi cable and cant get anything on the tv except a fixed picture of my desktop pic. I figure that I need to change display settings but I cant figure out what to change. Ive played around with different settings and cant get it to work. Ive tried getting help from the ASUS people and cant get a response. Thanks for any help.

kersonan
28-11-2008, 05:59 PM
Hello there, and welcome.

What version of windows are you using?

jbmcgee
28-11-2008, 06:01 PM
Thanks for replying. Im using xp

kersonan
28-11-2008, 06:06 PM
excellent, now you mention that you can see the computer on the tv?

do you see a desktop picture?

Am i right in thinking you want to be able to watch a movie on the tv while continuing to work on the monitor?

kersonan
28-11-2008, 06:09 PM
lets assume you are so your wanting to be able to drag a media player window onto the tv screen and play it.

Right click on your desktop
pick properties
pick the settings tab

you should see 2 boxes, with a "1" and a "2" inside them, there should be an "Identify" button, go ahead and click that button.

your screens should now show a big white "1" or a "2" showing which screen they are.

can you have a go at that and tell me what happens?

jbmcgee
28-11-2008, 06:11 PM
definitely, thanks again.

jbmcgee
28-11-2008, 06:15 PM
Sorry, I had to reboot. The monitor says 2

jbmcgee
28-11-2008, 06:16 PM
Question, should I have my other "display adapter", my old card on? Under the device manager.

kersonan
28-11-2008, 06:16 PM
Did anything at all appear on the tv?

Were there two boxes on the settings tab, was one of them grayed out?

kersonan
28-11-2008, 06:17 PM
Question, should I have my other "display adapter", my old card on? Under the device manager.

Is the card the same type as the original one, just to clarify you have the tv connected to a totally separate card than the monitor?

Have you installed driver software for the new card?

when you say "cant get anything on the tv except a fixed picture of my desktop pic" do you mean you can see your computers background pic on the TV screen?

jbmcgee
28-11-2008, 06:20 PM
The new card is an ASUS Eah3450, the old is an ATI RADEON Xpress 200. Yes I have my tv connected to the new, ASUS, card via hdmi. And yes I have installed the driver

jbmcgee
28-11-2008, 06:22 PM
yes, my monitor is plugged into the same port as usual, it isn't in the new card's port.

kersonan
28-11-2008, 06:22 PM
"when you say "cant get anything on the tv except a fixed picture of my desktop pic" do you mean you can see your computers background pic on the TV screen?

Sorry I might have added this question as an edit while you were posting, but it would help to know.

jbmcgee
28-11-2008, 06:28 PM
Yes, I can see two boxes in the display prop - settings and one is greyed out. My tv displays what is on my desktop (the background pic and now, the icons) but it doesnt show anything else I bring up, i.e. media player.

kersonan
28-11-2008, 06:30 PM
excellent thank you.

Can you right click on the box thats greyed out and hit connected (sorry going from memory here not near an XP box at the mo)

jbmcgee
28-11-2008, 06:32 PM
I have the choices of "attached" and "properties", two additional choices "primary, identify" are not able to be used.

kersonan
28-11-2008, 06:35 PM
attached is the one you want :)

jbmcgee
28-11-2008, 06:36 PM
ok, it isnt greyed-out anymore

kersonan
28-11-2008, 06:42 PM
ok time to setup some dual screen action

If you hit "Identfy" now you should see big white numbers on each screen, these match the boxes you are seeing in the settings tab

if your sitting at your pc and the tv is to your left and its screen "2" then click and drag its box "2" and drop it to the left of the box marked "1" in your settings tab

click "apply" then "ok"

You should now be able to drag stuff from one your monitor off the left hand side of the screen and see it appear on the tv.

jbmcgee
28-11-2008, 06:48 PM
Now, "identify" wont work. Another issue is that my tv is in another room, I got a 50ft hdmi cable.

jbmcgee
28-11-2008, 06:49 PM
Also, should both display choices be: 'plug and play monitor on ASUS....Series?

kersonan
28-11-2008, 06:53 PM
nope should be one of each

1xdisplay on the Asus card
1xdisplay on the ATI radeon

jbmcgee
28-11-2008, 06:59 PM
I got it to work, now, there is no sound on my tv and now it is gone from my monitor so I cant control the player

jbmcgee
28-11-2008, 07:00 PM
ok, cool. Im going to enable the ATI, then what. Thanks again for the assistance.

jbmcgee
28-11-2008, 07:12 PM
now i get 3 boxes, how do i change my primary monitor to the ati card ?

jbmcgee
28-11-2008, 07:30 PM
ok, i got it set up but still no sound and I cant control the player once I move it all the way over to the tv screen.

Speedy Gonzales
28-11-2008, 07:55 PM
You should be able to do it with 1 videocard not 2.

It'll probably make things harder to configure with 2 cards

And normally, you dont use 2 different videocards

jbmcgee
28-11-2008, 08:07 PM
my tv is 52 in and I was told that I would need a graphics card dedicated just to playing video on the tv and that I wouldnt be able to use my computer when playing things on the tv from the pc ???

kersonan
28-11-2008, 08:10 PM
my tv is 52 in and I was told that I would need a graphics card dedicated just to playing video on the tv and that I wouldnt be able to use my computer when playing things on the tv from the pc ???

Most graphics cards these days come with 2 sockets for monitors, it might pay to try running them both of the newer more powerful card and see how that goes.

Speedy Gonzales
28-11-2008, 08:14 PM
Ah ok you maybe right there. (thats if its ATI). Cant say I've seen an ATI card, that lets you have 2 different screens

If it were Nvidia, then you could probably have it on 2 different screens (thats if Nvidia video cards, have DVI / HDMI and VGA / TV out on them). With 1 videocard

jbmcgee
28-11-2008, 08:19 PM
any idea about the sound problem?

Speedy Gonzales
28-11-2008, 08:25 PM
Which EAH3450 have you got??

The HTP / 512, DI/256, TOP HTP/512, or HTP / 256 ??

jbmcgee
28-11-2008, 08:27 PM
DI/256

Speedy Gonzales
28-11-2008, 08:37 PM
Hmm thats a good question. Ive got the same card, but havent got anything thats got HDMI on it. To test it

I see you've posted the same ? on the ASUS forum. I think its from you

Look in device manager, is there entry under sounds called ATI function for HD Audio - ATI AA01??

Are they any ?'s in device manager?

jbmcgee
28-11-2008, 08:58 PM
No, none of those. i got ASUSTEK Virt. Capture, legacy audio drivers, media ctrl, and Realtek ac'97. yes, there is a ? under the pci device

jbmcgee
28-11-2008, 09:02 PM
When I installed the driver there was an error: 1603. Can you help with that?

Speedy Gonzales
29-11-2008, 07:06 AM
What driver were you installing, when that error came up?? THE ATI drivers?

Or something else? Delete that ? under PCI, and reboot. See what happens

Do you know what that PCI device / card is??

jbmcgee
29-11-2008, 07:38 AM
I was installing the drivers for the ASUS card when I got that message. I tried to reinstall and it seemed to work, still no sound and I still have my computer trying to install the pci device which comes up with Installation incomplete because the wizard cant find the software. Any advice?

Speedy Gonzales
29-11-2008, 07:44 AM
Well whats the PCI device?? Did you install a PCI card recently or something??

If you did, what is it?

jbmcgee
29-11-2008, 07:51 AM
the video card, the ASUS EAH3450, is installed in the pci-e slot. These are the same, right?= the vid card is the pci-e device?

Tony S.
29-11-2008, 07:56 AM
Hi there, I am no expert on this subject, but I am running my tv from the pc with a Gforce 5200 video card. The video cable to the tv does not do sound, only video. I am using a separate cable to run the sound direct from the sound card. Hope you succeed, it is fun. Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
29-11-2008, 08:01 AM
Yup, HDMI carries sound and video.

Just have to figure out how to get it to work !

Yup, the EAH3450 is PCI-E. Whats in the PCI slots?? The white slots??

jbmcgee
29-11-2008, 08:02 AM
Are you running with an hdmi? That was the reason I got this particular card because I thought the hdmi would carry both. Question, what type of cable do you have running from the sound card and did you have to purchase a new/additional sound card for this purpose? Thanks for the info.

jbmcgee
29-11-2008, 08:04 AM
I only have one pci-e slot and I have the EAH-3450 card in there with the hdmi cable running from it to the tv. Thanks for the help, Speedy.

Speedy Gonzales
29-11-2008, 08:06 AM
I'm not using the HDMI connection yet. Since I dont have anything with HDMI on it

You shouldnt have a cable running from the soundcard, since the HDMI cable should carry video and the sound.

jbmcgee
29-11-2008, 08:07 AM
Sorry if Im not answering the question, are the pci and pci-e slots different? As you can tell, Im new to this and have been stressin trying to get this to work.

Speedy Gonzales
29-11-2008, 08:12 AM
PCI / PCI-E are different. PCI slot is white / cream. PCI-E is blue / maybe black, and longer than PCI. And comes in x1, x16 slots

This is PCI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Local_Bus)

This is PCI-E (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pci-e)

jbmcgee
29-11-2008, 08:12 AM
Throughout this process, Ive somehow installed the Catalyst Control Center for the ATI, the one Im using for my comp monitor. I think its screwing with my system, i.e. the monitor screen goes blank for a second when I open the program and my firefox wont stay connected. Does anyone know if I have to have this program?

Speedy Gonzales
29-11-2008, 08:15 AM
The catalyst control center is for the eah3450 card, since its ATI. You need it. If you remove / uninstall it, then you wont be able to configure it properly

Its probably because of this other card. Screwing things up

jbmcgee
29-11-2008, 08:18 AM
PCI / PCI-E are different. PCI slot is white / cream. PCI-E is blue / maybe black, and longer than PCI. And comes in x1, x16 slots

This is PCI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Local_Bus)

This is PCI-E (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pci-e)

Ok, sorry about that. I have a netgear wireless router card and another card that I cant tell what it is but it has only two outs and both look like, umm, phone cables, like what the router is connected to the pc with.

jbmcgee
29-11-2008, 08:28 AM
I suppose this is for ethernet or something?

Speedy Gonzales
29-11-2008, 08:32 AM
Sounds like ethernet, but then if theres an onboard network adapter in the case for it, why is it there?

What kind if computer is it?

Tony S.
29-11-2008, 08:33 AM
Sorry, you are right, HDMI does support audio, I am out of my depth here. I don't have that facility.

jbmcgee
29-11-2008, 08:36 AM
I have an Emachines T6410

jbmcgee
29-11-2008, 10:09 AM
Should I have to update my drivers for the new card?

Speedy Gonzales
29-11-2008, 10:19 AM
What version of the ATI drivers are installed now?

Speedy Gonzales
29-11-2008, 10:27 AM
Go to sounds in control panel, audio tab. Is there an option for HDMI sound here??

If there is select it.

jbmcgee
29-11-2008, 10:35 AM
I installed the drivers from the included cd, how do I find what drivers are installed? In sounds, there is an option to use new card under "recording' but no where else.

jbmcgee
29-11-2008, 10:38 AM
Under 'driver file details', there are many listed driver files, most beginning with 'system32

Speedy Gonzales
29-11-2008, 10:47 AM
Under the audio tab in sounds, if you click on the down arrow at the end of where it shows the onboard soundcard / whatever. Is there another option here? To choose anything else? If it says HDMI select it then the HDMI sound should work

jbmcgee
29-11-2008, 10:48 AM
I read on newegg under the reviews for this card where more than a few people have had trouble with the sound. I don't know what else to do. Can anyone suggest a good card for what I'm trying to do. I already have the 50ft hdmi cable and the new 500watt psu, now all I need is a good card that can play videos (no games) from my pc to my 50in. plasma. Thanks for the help.

jbmcgee
29-11-2008, 10:58 AM
There's no hdmi option

jbmcgee
29-11-2008, 11:20 AM
Can anyone suggest a good card for what I'm trying to do. I want a card that will allow me to view (and listen) to videos from my pc on my tv while still using the existing card for my monitor and computer work. I already have the 50ft hdmi cable and the new 500watt psu, now all I need is a good card that can play videos (no games) from my pc to my 50in. plasma. Thanks for the help.

Speedy Gonzales
29-11-2008, 11:24 AM
You should have added this to your old thread. Not create another

jbmcgee
29-11-2008, 11:39 AM
You should have added this to your old thread. Not create another

Sorry about that, I really have to claim forum-ignorance for that.

Speedy Gonzales
29-11-2008, 01:35 PM
Hmm some sites, say the cd drivers install the HDMI audio drivers (I saw it here). BUT they dont actually do anything lol.

I noticed the cd drivers also install the ATI Avivo codecs. Whereas, the 8.11 drivers (the latest ATI drivers dont).

I dont think I can test it here, since I dont have anything HDMI right now

BUT, by the sounds of it, an entry is meant to appear under the audio tab under sounds. So, you can select it.

BUT that may change soon, and if I cant get the HDMI sound going, the card will be going back to the shop

Speedy Gonzales
29-11-2008, 03:13 PM
Right, think I found the right drivers.

DONT install the latest drivers, they dont work.

8.2 or 8.4 may work, but not the latest version of the ATI drivers

The drivers on the cd DONT work (even tho, it says ATI HDMI Audio drivers, when you install them)

Uninstall whatever ATI videocard drivers you installed.

Get Drivercleaner (http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/Other-DRIVERS-TOOLS/Others/Driver-Cleaner-Professional-15.shtml) install it in normal windows.

Boot into safe mode, run it. Select ATI / ATI CCC, and ATI Uninstall

Then reboot

Get these drivers (http://dlsvr04.asus.com/pub/ASUS/vga/ATI/ati8451_winxp.zip) (WARNING, theyre 81 mb). <-- direct link

So, hopefully you're on broadband

Unzip them, then run the setup file

Reboot and voila. You'll have HDMI sound under the audio tab in sounds

Thats WHAT you need. These are the only drivers that gave you a custom option, to select what you want, and the HDMI Audio drivers was one of them

This is what SHOULD be there (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/hdmi.jpg) The ATI HD Audio rear output entry

The only thing is, if you select that for the default entry, you probably wont hear anything, on the PC monitor, if its got sound

So, its not the card thats the prob, its the useless drivers. Most of them are broken, or even if the HDMI Audio drivers are in it, they may install, but dont work

jbmcgee
29-11-2008, 04:31 PM
Awesome, thanks so much for the help. Im gonna try this and I'll let you how it goes.

Speedy Gonzales
29-11-2008, 04:46 PM
No probs :)

Hopefully it works

jbmcgee
29-11-2008, 06:53 PM
Now I've got more problems. After I installed the new drivers, I can't get a picture on my monitor and, for the first time, my Bios screen is asking for a password. I'm ready to throw this thing out the window. Any suggestions?

Speedy Gonzales
29-11-2008, 06:58 PM
The BIOS password has nothing to do with the driver you installed

Or I would have the same issue

Did the sound work on HDMI??

What monitor are you talking about (the one with no picture)?

The PC one, or the one with HDMI??

jbmcgee
30-11-2008, 12:58 AM
I cant tell if it worked for the audio or not, once I downloaded the drivers and rebooted the computer I couldnt get an image on my computer monitor after the setup screen (option for Bios), it just goes blank but I can hear the computer loading up and everything but cant see it. I thought I may need to change something in the Bios screen but I cant access it, for some reason it now asks me for a password and Ive been using this screen a lot lately trying to get this thing to work, I dont know how this happened.

Speedy Gonzales
30-11-2008, 06:47 AM
If you're talking about the TV (that you cant see). You probably have to right mouse on the main PC / select catalyst control centre. On the desktop

Then click on display monitor. Do 2 monitors appear here?

The only prob you may have is:

Since you've got 2 videocards, you probably need 2 versions of the ATI drivers.

Since the version, for the HDMI probably wont work with the other videocard. And vice versa

In the end, you'll probably have to remove the other videocard, you cant do much about trying to watch 2 different screens at the same time.

You'll have to be happy with watching the same thing on both screens

jbmcgee
30-11-2008, 11:19 AM
My internet has been out all day!! I had to go to a restore point because once I installed the new drivers that you, Speedy, recommended, and rebooted, my computer monitor went blank after the setup screens. I couldn't do anything on the computer so I had to restore to an earlier time before I installed the drivers. I am going to try this again, but before I do this, you said that I may have to remove the other video card, that's fine with me, along having to watch the same thing on both screens is fine too, Ive got no problem with that.

Ive got a couple of questions, once I download the drivers and unzip them, which setup/s do I have to do. There were setups under a few folders, I suspect it is the one under 'driver', or do I have to do all of them?

Also, if I ever want to use a TV tuner card and record things like a dvr on my computer, I was told that I would need two video cards, is this true?

Thanks so much for the help.

jbmcgee
30-11-2008, 11:26 AM
Are the drivers you, Speedy, recommended (ati8451) the only drivers I should have to install? or are they only for the hdmi audio?

Speedy Gonzales
30-11-2008, 11:32 AM
Get rid of the other videocard

You'll just have to cope with 1 videocard

No you dont need 2 videocards for a tuner. You only need 1 (either PCI, or USB). If you want to record from an external device (like a VCR, or something), it'll have to have some kind of video input on it. Most tuners usually come with a program, so you can record from TV

Install the drivers for it, plug it in (if its USB).

Or install the PCI card, turn the PC on, then install the drivers for it (when it asks for the drivers)

The setup file you run is in the ati8451_winxp\ati8451_winxp folder

After you unzip that file

Its the only setup.exe file in this folder. This is the only setup file you run.

These drivers didnt cause the internet prob, or the BIOS password prob

Speedy Gonzales
30-11-2008, 11:33 AM
Are the drivers you, Speedy, recommended (ati8451) the only drivers I should have to install? or are they only for the hdmi audio?

Those are the video card drivers and the HDMI audio drivers are part of the install

Uninstall all the other versions of the ATI drivers you've installed FIRST. Before installing this version (remove the other videocard first)

I didnt recommend the drivers, theyre the only drivers, that install the HDMI Audio drivers. So you can use the HDMI on this videocard (well hopefully, they do something). I wont know until I get something with HDMI on it

Since the drivers on the cd (well the cd I've got) dont install the HDMI drivers properly. And the ATI drivers (from the ATI site), dont install the HDMI Audio drivers either

jbmcgee
30-11-2008, 11:39 AM
Ive got a couple of questions, once I download the drivers and unzip them, which setup/s do I have to do. There were setups under a few folders, I suspect it is the one under 'driver', or do I have to do all of them?

There are setup files under the folders CCC, Driver, BIN, HD Audio, and WDM. Do I install all of them?

Speedy Gonzales
30-11-2008, 11:44 AM
Like I said, the file you downloaded is called ati8451_winxp.

When you extract this, it creates a folder called ati8451_winxp

The setup file you run is in the ati8451_winxp folder

You dont run ANY of the other setup files in any of the other folders

jbmcgee
01-12-2008, 09:52 AM
I give up with this thing, can someone tell me how I can go back to my default settings before I installed the new video card (bios settings and things like that). thanks

Speedy Gonzales
01-12-2008, 10:12 AM
Doesnt this PC have video onboard??

Did you remove the other videocard?

You'll have to uninstall the ATI drivers, then remove that HDMI card and the other card (if its got video onboard)

Thats probably why things aren't working (if there's 3 videocards in the system)

jbmcgee
01-12-2008, 12:43 PM
Speedy, I had the thing working, the video anyway, but the audio will not work. Through researching this Ive found many, many people who cannot get the hdmi audio to work. Im sending it back,

To get everything back to the previous settings, I used the driver cleaner in Safe mode on the ATi / CCC and Uninstall utility then I removed everything from the add/remove screen. I did a system restore back to last week before I installed any of the new card's stuff. Now, when I start up I cant get a picture on my monitor. Please help, my computer is useless at this point. I also went into the bios and loaded the optimized default. Help please.

Speedy Gonzales
01-12-2008, 12:58 PM
Well if you cant figure out HOW to install the drivers I posted, then the HDMI audio wont work

Did you remove the other card, before trying to install the 8451 ATI drivers?

Most people probably couldnt get the HDMI audio drivers to work, because the wrong drivers for it were installed.

And if you dont see the HDMI audio entry in sounds / the audio tab, then theyre the wrong drivers. And the HDMI audio drivers wont work.

jbmcgee
01-12-2008, 01:11 PM
The installation went over fine, thanks a lot for all the help. After days of trying to get this thing to work, Im fed up. The drivers were installed and everything but still no hdmi audio option. Thanks again, could you possibly help me to fix everything Ive changed? I would appreciate it much.

Speedy Gonzales
01-12-2008, 01:14 PM
If you want me to check what you've done, get crossloop (www.crossloop.com)

Install then run it. Then click on skip

PM me the code under share

I'll see if you've done things properly

BUT if you dont want to do the above, just uninstall the drivers (does this system have onboard video)??

And remove the video cards

jbmcgee
01-12-2008, 01:16 PM
Awesome, thanks. And it's ok to download and run this in safe mode?

Speedy Gonzales
01-12-2008, 01:21 PM
Might be, select safe mode / network mode.

Otherwise you wont get on the internet (not sure if Crossloop works in safe mode or not)

If you want me to connect to you with Crossloop, close everything (minimise the browser), open device manager, sounds / so audio tab is showing)

And add/remove programs

jbmcgee
01-12-2008, 01:30 PM
I uninstalled the ati, ati/ccc, and ati uninstall. Are these the only drivers i need to do? I guess it has onboard video, I never found out.

Speedy Gonzales
01-12-2008, 01:38 PM
Look at the back of the case. Is there a connection like this ? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGA_connector)

If there is, then its got video onboard

And if you've removed the ATI videocards now, then it ,ust have oboard video. If youre using this computer now

Do you want me to log into your system using Crossloop?

Well theres no point really. Since you've uninstalled the ATI drivers. The HDMI audio entry probably wont appear

kersonan
01-12-2008, 01:53 PM
Whats the brand and model number of the TV screen, I had issues with one of my Plasma's not doing sound via HDMI when a pc was the source.

jbmcgee
01-12-2008, 01:56 PM
It doesn't have onboard video, no vga connection. I ran the driver cleaner in safe mode, is this all that needs to be done to uninstall the drivers?

jbmcgee
01-12-2008, 01:58 PM
My tv is a vizio P50 HDTV 10A

Speedy Gonzales
01-12-2008, 02:01 PM
It doesn't have onboard video, no vga connection. I ran the driver cleaner in safe mode, is this all that needs to be done to uninstall the drivers?

Yup after you uninstalled the drivers in normal windows. So, WHAT video card is installed now?

The old card or the EAH3450?

jbmcgee
01-12-2008, 02:05 PM
I went into the device mgr and enabled the old card but, now that I think about it, I dont know if that reinstalled it. I can't get a picture on my comp monitor after the setup screen, somethings not right but I cant figure out what.

Speedy Gonzales
01-12-2008, 02:06 PM
Like I said, REMOVE the old card

So, ONLY the EAH3450 is in the case

Then if you want, install the 8451 drivers again. Then look in sounds / audio tab. See if the ATI HDMI Audio drivers are there

jbmcgee
01-12-2008, 02:59 PM
Like I said, REMOVE the old card

So, ONLY the EAH3450 is in the case

Then if you want, install the 8451 drivers again. Then look in sounds / audio tab. See if the ATI HDMI Audio drivers are there

Still not there, can you help me undo the damage?
Can we do that crossloop deal, Ive never done that before but it seems like it would save a lot of time.

jbmcgee
01-12-2008, 03:06 PM
I guess since I ran the driver cleaner, i cleaned out the drivers for the old card too? How do I know where to get those drivers?

Speedy Gonzales
01-12-2008, 03:07 PM
If you've installed Crossloop, PM (dont put it here) the code under share.

Once I connect, allow access. Open add/remove programs / sounds / audio tab).

And device manager, so I can see whats there. Close everything else

jbmcgee
01-12-2008, 03:11 PM
Sorry, what do you mean by" PM the code"?

Speedy Gonzales
01-12-2008, 03:15 PM
Left mouse on my nick. Send a private message.. Run crossloop under the share option send me the code in a PM

jbmcgee
01-12-2008, 03:17 PM
ok, doing it right now.