PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer upgrade

01-06-2001, 05:23 PM
Howdy all,

On the CDROm supplied with the June 2001 Mag, there is an upgrade for Internet Explorer to take me to verison 5.5

My question is this: Since Ztree reports that there are 53 megs of files associtated with this upgrade, why when running it does it insist on dialling up the internet? It also reports that it will take over an hour to download the upgrade. Why? I would have thought that it was all on the CDROM with 53 Megs of files there.

Maybe as I've long suspectd Microsoft does indeed take a snapshot of your hard drive even though when you go to their update site it tries to assure you that it doesn't do this. On my last visit there I noted that there were 217,989 kb of files/info transferred from my computer to who knows where?

Is there a way I can find out just what is sent from my computer at such a time?

A word of friendly advice would be welcome here before I send Microsoft more of my personal details than they got when I purchased my machine.

01-06-2001, 06:43 PM
I don't know why your upgrade is not installing off the CD. I often load it from the Oct 2000 CD, the file sizes are the same and it never tries to dial up. I always cancel the autostart menu and install using the RUN option under the Start menu. The path to the install file is Browsers\IE505\Win32\En\ie5setup.exe.

As for microsoft snooping: Yes they do (in some parts of their site). If you have a firewall installed you will be able to monitor this activity.