PDA

View Full Version : Why is iPod Nano 4th Gen cheaper than 3rd gen?

Valleygal
27-11-2008, 08:39 PM
:punk Hi All - sorry if this has been posted in the wrong section, took me long enough to found how to start a new thread, sorted now though. :banana

Anyway, I'm looking at buying an iPod Nano and was quite suprised to see a store retailing the latest 4th Gen cheaper than the 3rd gen - :confused: Anyone know why this would be?

Video playback is no biggie, just want something to hook up into the car to play soundz, as I drive for a living. Was looking at the Sony Walkman mp3's too, but yeah...still pluckin away at the net searching for info.

Welcome your feedback thanks.

:punk

Netsukeninja
27-11-2008, 08:45 PM
Sony ones will generally last longer battery-wise.

I've been considering this one for a while: http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/492e4f800088c8c4273fc0a87f3b06f3/Product/View/A5861

45hr battery life.

plod
27-11-2008, 08:55 PM
with each new release the prices come down, but the previous model price remains. Im surprised that retailers aren't discounting old stock to grt rid of them.

gary67
28-11-2008, 06:51 AM
One advatage of a cheap Dick Smith one is they require no propriety software you can just drag and drop any MP3 from your PC to the player and off you go.

To those who post links to Dick Smith all that hapens is the link takes you to there home page

maccrazy
28-11-2008, 09:39 AM
Get the new model. Unless you are getting a large discount, why would you buy the old one? The new model has a number of new features, such as Genius, that you will miss out on if you buy the old model. :)

beeswax34
28-11-2008, 11:50 AM
Its a piece of crap thats why. Played around with one at the Mac store in Newmarket and why the hell are the corners so sharp???

There were literally 3 people who din't buy one in front of me exactly because of that reason. Get a Zune from Amazon, you won't regret it.

pctek
28-11-2008, 01:20 PM
with each new release the prices come down, but the previous model price remains.

Thats not necessarily true of all hardware. In fact at the moment every time I look, my buy price has increased on stuff due to the decreasing NZ $.:eek:

Neil McC
28-11-2008, 04:11 PM
Love my Sony Walkman.Won't touch an Ipod after working on them for friends.But 4Gb is not big enough!

gary67
28-11-2008, 08:52 PM
Love my Sony Walkman.Won't touch an Ipod after working on them for friends.But 4Gb is not big enough!

Love mine too even though its really old now so needs the software to load it up

Valleygal
29-11-2008, 03:14 PM

This is also a brand I have been looking at - what model do you recommend? Does it use Windows Media Player? I've just downloaded and running iTunes 8, any idea if that would work on the Sony Walkman?

Thanks, hope it's sunny where you are!:clap

Valleygal
29-11-2008, 03:16 PM
Also, have read that the Sony's are superior for sound quality - but on the other hand you get more for your $$ with the latest iPod, decisions, decisions...

gary67
29-11-2008, 05:06 PM
Well my old Sony only works with their software but the newer ones can be loaded straight from Windows I think sound quality is good on headsets not so good when I plugged it into my amp and big speakers though. It's great in the car and so small mines no bigger than a Bic lighter. It's damn hot here

Valleygal
29-11-2008, 05:48 PM
Well my old Sony only works with their software but the newer ones can be loaded straight from Windows I think sound quality is good on headsets not so good when I plugged it into my amp and big speakers though. It's great in the car and so small mines no bigger than a Bic lighter. It's damn hot here

Hey that's great feedback, thanks. Yeah, I would be using the mp3 for car soundz and music through the amp etc, so good to know about the change in sound quality... :punk