PDA

View Full Version : Monitoring of Internet usage

mogget
27-11-2008, 12:25 PM
Hey Guys!
My employer suggests that I have been over enthusiastic in my use of work provided internet access. He bases his assumption on a report generated by Web Marshall. I know that I have not been to the sites, or used the internet as prolifically as indicated in the report, but he is adamant that each site had to be "clicked" on to have been recorded. Is there a way that I can tactfully show him otherwise?

Any help in a stressful situation will be much appreciated!

pctek
27-11-2008, 12:31 PM
It will generate detailed logs of page requests. For every page it delivers, it creates a record in the log file that includes: the page requested, the exact date and time, and the network address of the computer making the request. Optionally, logs can be configured to record the web page that linked the user to the page and the version of Web browser used.

So just accept it and do some more work.

Bantu
27-11-2008, 12:31 PM
Your busted dude, as pctek said get back to work.

mogget
27-11-2008, 12:38 PM
lol.... So you think my employer should also pay me the thirteen hours the report claims that I was logged on?... I think not. Anyway, you have not indicated how I can prove what I know is fact!

mogget
27-11-2008, 12:42 PM
You miss the point my friend!... I KNOW that I have not visited the litterally hundreds of sites listed in the report. My employer is adamant that I must have 'clicked" on each and every one for them to be recorded.

Bantu
27-11-2008, 12:52 PM
You can click on one site and that can have links to another dozen depending on how it is set up. Each of those sites would register against your IP.

Web sites have links and hidden links to things like doubleclick and maybe images from another site, advertising sites, which in turn can have links to others. It is not just ONE site at a time you visit each time.

SolMiester
27-11-2008, 01:29 PM
You can click on one site and that can have links to another dozen depending on how it is set up. Each of those sites would register against your IP.

Web sites have links and hidden links to things like doubleclick and maybe images from another site, advertising sites, which in turn can have links to others. It is not just ONE site at a time you visit each time.

+1, our surf report does the same, web-sites with link will also register depending on the browser you use, it is pre-caching links to other sites....