PDA

View Full Version : Skype

B.M.
27-11-2008, 09:45 AM
Iíve just installed Skype and must say it seems to have improved an awful lot since I ditched it years ago. The quality of the audio and video seem quite acceptable here.

However, a friend down the road has also installed it and itís hopeless. The test call sounds like someone talking under water with a mouth full of marbles. There is no Video Camera.

Iíve uninstalled it and reinstalled it, no difference. We are both with the same broadband provider and everything appears fine in Device Manager. Both running XP on similar computers so Iím stumped.

Anyone out there with any suggestions? :thanks

Wheels
27-11-2008, 10:21 AM
Sounds more likely to be a soundcard or sound driver problem (scuse the pun).

Step by step process to find the culprit...
- Have you tested the mic and soundcard/speakers in the OS to make sure they are clear there?
- Is skype using the correct card and mic settings?
- Does the skype voice record test sound correct?

B.M.
27-11-2008, 10:31 AM
Yes the sound card and or drivers were the first thing I thought of but Device Manager has no ! or ? and assures me the card is working properly.

The card plays music fine both from CD and File.

I donít get to hear my recorded message but the initial request to record a message on the test call is just garbled so I guess we need to fix the receive and then worry about the send part.

I might try another sound card in case we have one that doesnít want to play with Skype. :groan:

Canít think of anything else.

wainuitech
27-11-2008, 10:53 AM
The connection between the Modem/router is it wireless or Ethernet ?

Dont know if you have tried this - but try using the Windows inbuilt Recording - see if it records OK > Start/All Programs/Accessories/ Entertainment/Sound Recorder.

B.M.
27-11-2008, 11:50 AM
The connection between the Modem/router is it wireless or Ethernet ?

Dont know if you have tried this - but try using the Windows inbuilt Recording - see if it records OK > Start/All Programs/Accessories/ Entertainment/Sound Recorder.

Ethernet & I'll go down and try the sound record/playback.

Good point. :thumbs:

lakewoodlady
27-11-2008, 12:10 PM
Hi B.M.
Is your friend using a headset, or skype phone or just using mic and speakers?

LL

B.M.
27-11-2008, 01:27 PM
Hi B.M.
Is your friend using a headset, or skype phone or just using mic and speakers?

LL

A twin plug headset plugged into Mic & Line out.

(I'm using a Skype Phone so I wonder if that has anything to do with it?) :confused:

wainuitech
27-11-2008, 02:06 PM
Line Out ??

What sort of Connections do you have - One setup arrangement - a USB for the Web Cam - and try the putting the headphones in the Audio Out, (normally Green) and the mic in the Pink 3.5mm outlets.

Take the Line out connection out the picture - that may be causing the problem.

paulw
27-11-2008, 05:21 PM
What sort of processor does his PC have.?? I have an old laptop at work with a 1gig processor and it's real bad for VOIP and Skype and USB handset. Sort of the same results your freind is getting. Skype's minimun PC standards leave a lot to be desired..

B.M.
28-11-2008, 08:06 AM
Line Out ??

What sort of Connections do you have - One setup arrangement - a USB for the Web Cam - and try the putting the headphones in the Audio Out, (normally Green) and the mic in the Pink 3.5mm outlets.

Take the Line out connection out the picture - that may be causing the problem.

Sorry, let me put my teeth in. Ahhh, try again.

I'm using a USB phone and that works fine so we can forget that for the moment.

The friend is using a twin plug headset (ex Dick Smith) and that is what I can't get to work.

The sound card only has Mic - Line In - Line Out sockets and yes the Mic (pink) is plugged into the correct socket and the earpiece is plugged into line out (Green)

Now, when tested on Record as you suggested all was fine but on Skype everything sounded like someone talking under water with a mouthful of marbles.

So, I decided to change the Sound Card and install new drivers and lo and behold, perfect reception :) but no transmission. :( Check using the record facility, nothing. Then I find that if I scream into the Mic there is a response. Ok, I wonder if there is a volume control so into the settings I go and yep there is one but it's already on full blast.

Well, I figure I'd better double check the headset so I bring it home to test it on my computer. Bother, won't record there either so into my settings I go and I find the volume is on full but there is a little box saying "Microphone Boost" so I tick that and away we go. Perfect!

Problem is on the friends computer there is no microphone boost facility.

Now what?? :confused:

wainuitech
28-11-2008, 08:52 AM
Sorry, let me put my teeth in. Ahhh, try again. :lol::p Thats a classic - sorry but couldn't help laughing - well done.

To get the Mic Boost, in the Icon try by the clock, double click the speaker Icon, top left click Options / Properties, make sure the Mic is ticked in the box, if it is you will have under options ( where you were before) the ADVANCED CONTROLS - click that, now when you look at the Mic Slider, there will be a new button ADVANCED - click that, mic boot will be there.

B.M.
30-11-2008, 08:21 AM
:lol::p Thats a classic - sorry but couldn't help laughing - well done.

To get the Mic Boost, in the Icon try by the clock, double click the speaker Icon, top left click Options / Properties, make sure the Mic is ticked in the box, if it is you will have under options ( where you were before) the ADVANCED CONTROLS - click that, now when you look at the Mic Slider, there will be a new button ADVANCED - click that, mic boot will be there.

Went down yesterday afternoon all emotionally prepared to fix the problem and blow me down if the last ADVANCED button isn't grayed out and hence no Mic boost.

I wonder if there are better drivers available? From memory it was a C-Net Sound Card.

Maybe even swap for a USB phone?

Dahhhh, I'll think about it while mowing the lawns. :)

wainuitech
30-11-2008, 08:57 AM
Since you changed the Sound card , did you remove the old drivers before installing new ones ? If you didn't that could be the problem.

Have a look at These instructions (http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=111480) from skype.

More or less the same thing as before - You can also check by opening the control Panel / Sounds and audio devices/ Voice Tab/ Volume, under voice recording - if you notice in this picture (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Volume_control.jpg) the advanced is grayed out, but click the Volume button and Advanced controls (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Advanced_controls1.jpg) with Mic Boost.