PDA

View Full Version : Years of Windows, Just Bought a Mac

Chas
26-11-2008, 10:33 PM
Yeah, I know, can be a touchy subject.

I'm running Vista Ultimate on my desktop and just bought a Macbook Pro to replace my Toshiba A7.

What I'm interested in knowing more about, is open source software that is available for a Mac. Of particular interest to me is software that is MS Project compatible. I already reckon none, but I would love to be proved wrong.

I've been told that a product called Neowin??? Is pretty much the bees knees if I don't want to buy Office. I'm still thinking about that.

So have at it. What Mac open source do you think is any good, and what can it do?

wainuitech
26-11-2008, 10:45 PM
Welcome to PF1 Chas - Boy what a way to join a forum - A HOT topic :lol: any ways- have a look at This google search (http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&q=Open+Source+Software+for+a+MAC&btnG=Google+Search&meta=) - you may find something to help.

maccrazy
26-11-2008, 10:54 PM
Congratulations on buying a Mac. OpenOffice is available for Mac OS X as an alternative to Microsoft Office. iWork also does a reasonable job of converting to and from Office documents - although it isn't perfect.

SolMiester
26-11-2008, 10:56 PM
Yeah, I know, can be a touchy subject.

I'm running Vista Ultimate on my desktop and just bought a Macbook Pro to replace my Toshiba A7.

What I'm interested in knowing more about, is open source software that is available for a Mac. Of particular interest to me is software that is MS Project compatible. I already reckon none, but I would love to be proved wrong.

I've been told that a product called Neowin??? Is pretty much the bees knees if I don't want to buy Office. I'm still thinking about that.

So have at it. What Mac open source do you think is any good, and what can it do?

LOL....open source software...LOL, windows MS Project compatible...LOL

Blam
26-11-2008, 11:03 PM
NeoOffice is pretty good, basically a faster version of OO as far as I'm concerned.
You might want to consider buying Crossover Mac, it allows you to run native windows apps in Mac OSX. Not all applications work but most games do.

Chas
26-11-2008, 11:19 PM
Thanks people. I appreciate the replies.
NeoOffice that was the one. I blame a very poor memory.

And to be honest I thought it would be, LOL... Vista Ultimate... LOL.
I got a nice game of poker for the money though.

Seriously though, thanks for the help.

Blam
26-11-2008, 11:21 PM
np:D

That is a nice idea though SolMeister-

Open source software that's MS Project compatible

Yeah Right

notechyet
27-11-2008, 05:09 AM
Thanks people. I appreciate the replies.
NeoOffice that was the one. I blame a very poor memory.

And to be honest I thought it would be, LOL... Vista Ultimate... LOL.
I got a nice game of poker for the money though.

Seriously though, thanks for the help.
Chas
If you change over from Win to Os x I find Fusion a good solution. If you want you can continue pretty much normal(convert your physical PC to a VM)
and then take the change over to OSx as fast or as slow as you want.
Change over email system from Win to Os x is not necessarily a straight forward process, though possible.

jcr1
27-11-2008, 05:38 AM
Isn't there something called Parallels?. That allows virtualisation of other os's on Macs?

Digby
27-11-2008, 06:27 AM
1 This is PC World not MacWorld
2 The reason Windows PC's have much bigger sales is that they are far more customisable and that there is far more software available, both commercial and freeware.

Safari
27-11-2008, 07:29 AM
2 The reason Windows PC's have much bigger sales is that they are far more customisable and that there is far more software available, both commercial and freeware.

Try to be a bit more sensible Digby, there are a lot of people here interested in Macs and they are entitled to the same support as anyone else.

Next you will be complaining about Linux posts on PC World.

wratterus
27-11-2008, 08:22 AM
Be reasonable Digby! :p

http://www.opensourcemac.org/

and

http://mac.softpedia.com/

should have some software available.

Safari
27-11-2008, 08:38 AM
How about this Digby
http://www.versiontracker.com/macosx/updByCat.php

notechyet
27-11-2008, 09:02 AM
Yes digby
I won't push to much as I am also working in Win a lot. Fusion is an option that I wanted to put forward as it enables both!

lakewoodlady
27-11-2008, 09:51 AM
NeoOffice is the one. It is compatible with MS Office in every way.

Cheers LL

Nermal
27-11-2008, 10:08 AM
I wouldn't go that far. Sure, NeoOffice is good, but it's certainly not 100% compatible. But it's free so it's worth giving it a shot.

Chas
27-11-2008, 08:24 PM
Thanks people. A busy day at work, so I wasn't able to check in any earlier.
I'm going to have to explore versiontracker & opensourcemac and follow a few more of the links from Wainuitech's Google.

I didn't really have much hope of finding something that would be MS Project compatible. Project can only barely be called compatible with itself.

Great stuff, thank you.