PDA

View Full Version : Xnet Fusion and Linksys WAG54Pv2 - utilising both phone ports

Lizard
25-11-2008, 09:42 PM
I've just switched over to Xnet Fusion, and setup my shiny new Linksys router. The VFX line has been switched on, and porting is underway, so I decided to hook up my phones on the router. There are two phone ports on the router. Here's my question:

Does this let you plug in two separate handsets, so you can use a different handset on the same line (e.g. a corded phone in the room with the router, and a cordless phone for use around the house)? Or is the second phone port on the router for the "second phone line" you can purchase from Xnet? Linksys aren't clear on how the second phone port can be used...

If it is for a second separate phone line only, can anyone see a reason why I couldn't plug an two-way adaptor into the phone port on the router, and connect two handsets to the one line?

While I'm in the company of Linksys experts, if anyone can explain to me what the router is playing at by refusing the login password to the router's control panel, I'd really appreciate it. :)

Lizard

Greven
25-11-2008, 10:03 PM
The second phone port is only for a second line. You can plug a splitter into the first port

beeswax34
25-11-2008, 11:36 PM
Are you sure you're entering the right password? Double check!

Chilling_Silence
26-11-2008, 12:14 AM
Worst-case scenario a factory reset always helps :)

Lizard
26-11-2008, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the recommendation of a splitter - it's not a major issue, but nice to know the option exists.

Yes, I've double-checked and triple-checked the password. I've had to factory-reset a few times already. Using the install wizard from the CD, it prompts for a new password, which I did, but when I went into the control panel (via 192.168.1.1), it asked for the login and password, but wouldn't accept the password I supplied during the wizard. The only thing I could think of was the username had changed, but there was no specific prompt for that during the wizard, and I couldn't think what other factor would be used as the username (other than the default, "admin"). After a few factory-reset's and re-attempts just to make sure I wasn't crazy, I left it at the default until I could sort it out. So the password and username are still at factory-defaults, but when i try to access the voice tab of the control panel, it prompts for a username and password, and doesn't accept the defaults.

it's not a critical issue - the phone works, the internet works, the wireless LAN works, and if anything goes wrong, Xnet's customer service is pretty good. More than anything, I'm pleased just to have cut the umbilical cord with Telecom... ;)

Greven
27-11-2008, 08:21 AM
Thanks for the recommendation of a splitter - it's not a major issue, but nice to know the option exists.

Yes, I've double-checked and triple-checked the password. I've had to factory-reset a few times already. Using the install wizard from the CD, it prompts for a new password, which I did, but when I went into the control panel (via 192.168.1.1), it asked for the login and password, but wouldn't accept the password I supplied during the wizard. The only thing I could think of was the username had changed, but there was no specific prompt for that during the wizard, and I couldn't think what other factor would be used as the username (other than the default, "admin"). After a few factory-reset's and re-attempts just to make sure I wasn't crazy, I left it at the default until I could sort it out. So the password and username are still at factory-defaults, but when i try to access the voice tab of the control panel, it prompts for a username and password, and doesn't accept the defaults.

it's not a critical issue - the phone works, the internet works, the wireless LAN works, and if anything goes wrong, Xnet's customer service is pretty good. More than anything, I'm pleased just to have cut the umbilical cord with Telecom... ;)

Were you trying to get into the main router setup, or the voice part of the router? The routers come pre-configured for VFX & lock you out of the voice section. Xnet can update all the phone settings remotely

johnd
27-11-2008, 10:00 PM
Yes - I have the Linksys PAP2T - if you reset it you can get into the admin settings but once it has reconnected online you cannot get back in (confused me to start with!).