PDA

View Full Version : print server

notechyet
25-11-2008, 06:48 PM
Hello members
Does anyone of you know of a small ethernet printer server that would be compatible with a Brother MFC 7820n and a Canon S6300 inkjet printer. The preferential would be as mentioned above or if that would not work ,then a wireless router/modem with print server attached (inbuild). Any chances on that? Lots of stuff around but it just seems to be difficult to find the right one.
Thanks

SolMiester
25-11-2008, 07:21 PM
here....http://ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=366982

stormdragon
25-11-2008, 07:27 PM
Here's one (http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=NETCNT12779). Just be aware most print servers don't support anything other then printing with multi-function printers.

notechyet
25-11-2008, 07:33 PM
I haven't looked at the links yet but as much as I remember I have seen sub print servers??

CYaBro
25-11-2008, 07:47 PM
Well that Brother printer is a network printer already so no need for a print server for it.

notechyet
25-11-2008, 07:49 PM
This is the compatability list I have found for the Wl600 G http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=12&l2=0&l3=0&l4=0&model=0&modelmenu=0&share=txt/30

The WL500 g does have a slight better chance of being any use to me as the Brother MFC 9880 and a Canon 9880 are listed.
The trouble is that the servers are all newer models and the printers are slightly aged.
Don't know what to do??

notechyet
25-11-2008, 07:50 PM
Well that Brother printer is a network printer already so no need for a print server for it.
So I just need to find a little one for the Canon S6300.
I rang Canon (NZ) some time ago and they could not help me re what brand or model of server to buy..

gary67
25-11-2008, 07:57 PM
I have a linksys PSUS4 I thuink it is can't get in the room and check kid sleeping in there tonight it supports my pixma IP3000 even though officially it doesn't according to the linksys site

Burnzee
25-11-2008, 09:38 PM
Hi Gion

Why muck around with printer servers etc? Old school!! Get with it. Last Saturday I introduced the members of this forum to PRINTERSHARE (http://www.printeranywhere.com/download-windows.sdf).

Easy to set up, easy to use. Cost? There is none!! Free.

Yah can't beat that.

BURNZEE

Bantu
26-11-2008, 07:31 AM
Burnzee how does that get around leaving the PC that the printer is connected to turned on so that other PC's can print.

Windows built in software already does that for sharing.

Like Gary67 I have a linksys PSUS4 also which works fine.

Burnzee
26-11-2008, 08:27 AM
Hi Bantu

First thing to understand is PRINTERSHARE gets installed on both the sending and receiving computers. When opening your account, you are issued with an unique ID. This ID identifies both the computer with the printer, (Owner) and the sender, (User).

When the User selects the PrinterShare Virtual Printer within the existing application. The magic starts to happen. The document, etc, is first encrypted and sent to the PrinterShare Server. If the Owner's computer is offline. Who cares? The encrypted document stays on the PrinterShare Server until the Owner comes on line and the document is automatically downloaded, decrypted and printed without the Owner having to do anything. This assumes of course the printer is connected, got paper, etc.

The Owner can continue using his/her computer and printer as normal. The User interface will tell you if the Owner's printer is offline/online before the document is sent so you are in the loop at all times.

Now the good part. You are not shackled to one printer. In fact, you can print to any printer in the world. Assuming of course the Owner has given you permission to. Fancy wireless routers, printer switches, etc just can't do that at no cost and no hassle. This is why they are old school and outdated. Think of the convenience of printing to your Mates, Works or even your Mum's printer.

Another great thing about PrinterShare, the Owner's computer is not required to have the same application installed as the User. For example, say you send a Word document to your Mum, (why you would do this, God knows),:), but Mum does not have Word on her computer. Who cares? Your document will still print out exactly as you sent it. All layout, formatting, fonts etc are maintained.

Remember all this for FREE!!, zip, nothin', FREE!!:thumbs: Give it a go, wot yah got to lose?

BURNZEE

notechyet
26-11-2008, 09:07 AM
Hi Bantu

First thing to understand is PRINTERSHARE gets installed on both the sending and receiving computers. When opening your account, you are issued with an unique ID. This ID identifies both the computer with the printer, (Owner) and the sender, (User).

When the User selects the PrinterShare Virtual Printer within the existing application. The magic starts to happen. The document, etc, is first encrypted and sent to the PrinterShare Server. If the Owner's computer is offline. Who cares? The encrypted document stays on the PrinterShare Server until the Owner comes on line and the document is automatically downloaded, decrypted and printed without the Owner having to do anything. This assumes of course the printer is connected, got paper, etc.

The Owner can continue using his/her computer and printer as normal. The User interface will tell you if the Owner's printer is offline/online before the document is sent so you are in the loop at all times.

Now the good part. You are not shackled to one printer. In fact, you can print to any printer in the world. Assuming of course the Owner has given you permission to. Fancy wireless routers, printer switches, etc just can't do that at no cost and no hassle. This is why they are old school and outdated. Think of the convenience of printing to your Mates, Works or even your Mum's printer.

Another great thing about PrinterShare, the Owner's computer is not required to have the same application installed as the User. For example, say you send a Word document to your Mum, (why you would do this, God knows),:), but Mum does not have Word on her computer. Who cares? Your document will still print out exactly as you sent it. All layout, formatting, fonts etc are maintained.

Remember all this for FREE!!, zip, nothin', FREE!!:thumbs: Give it a go, wot yah got to lose?

BURNZEE
Burnzee
I like the idea, but..
As I understand the owner's machine has to be turned on; not for sending to the printer from the User , in any case for printing out. Is that right?
If my partner wants to print out stuff for the school she would have to load my machine, unless I could install the PRINTERSHARE on WHS? Is that possible? That would make easy as she would only have to press the start knob on the Windows Home Server, which would be easy enough.

notechyet
26-11-2008, 09:12 AM
Burnzee how does that get around leaving the PC that the printer is connected to turned on so that other PC's can print.

Windows built in software already does that for sharing.

Like Gary67 I have a linksys PSUS4 also which works fine.
Bantu
As I have seen by other servers it is only a limited list of possible printers that can use a specific print server?
Do you know if it would support a Canon S6300? And if I place one printer on a server I would also place the Brother MFC 7820n on it as well?

SolMiester
26-11-2008, 09:17 AM
Bantu
As I have seen by other servers it is only a limited list of possible printers that can use a specific print server?
Do you know if it would support a Canon S6300? And if I place one printer on a server I would also place the Brother MFC 7820n on it as well?

If you have WHS, why dont you just attach the printers to the WHS, and share them....the WHS in on all the time is it not?

Use RDP client (start run mstsc) to remote onto the WHS and setup the printers

Burnzee
26-11-2008, 09:23 AM
Hi Gion

Yes, the Owner's machine must be turned on and online for the printout to happen but this does not have to be in real time. It can be done later as explained in an earlier thread.

she would have to load my machine

Not sure what you mean by this exactly but I assume you mean boot, connect to the internet etc. Assuming, this is the case, yes but if this is a hassle she can do all her printing at night when you are home, whilst sending the printing jobs to the PrinterShare Server during the day.

About installing Printershare on Windows Home Server, I'm sorry, can't answer this but go to their website and ask their advice.

BURNZEE

CYaBro
26-11-2008, 09:25 AM
Hi Bantu

BURNZEE

That's great but what if you don't have an internet connection? Or it is not on all the time.
It could be a week before your file ever gets printed.

notechyet
26-11-2008, 09:45 AM
If you have WHS, why dont you just attach the printers to the WHS, and share them....the WHS in on all the time is it not?

Use RDP client (start run mstsc) to remote onto the WHS and setup the printers
The WHS is not on all the time but easy enough to do. Does it mean, could I install PRINTERSHARE on the whs as owner and the user could be my partner's laptop and my PC and MBP? Would that work?
I cannot directly connect the printers to WHS as WHS machine is in another room.

notechyet
26-11-2008, 09:46 AM
Hi Gion

Yes, the Owner's machine must be turned on and online for the printout to happen but this does not have to be in real time. It can be done later as explained in an earlier thread.

Not sure what you mean by this exactly but I assume you mean boot, connect to the internet etc. Assuming, this is the case, yes but if this is a hassle she can do all her printing at night when you are home, whilst sending the printing jobs to the PrinterShare Server during the day.

About installing Printershare on Windows Home Server, I'm sorry, can't answer this but go to their website and ask their advice.

BURNZEE
Yes I will check out with the WHS forum

SolMiester
26-11-2008, 09:51 AM
You dont need to install printershare at all.....WHS is Windows Server 2003, it is designed to be a print server.....unfortunately, if the printers are not in the same room as the WHS, then you cant do it that way.....

Burnzee
26-11-2008, 09:51 AM
Hi CYaBro

That's great but what if you don't have an internet connection? Or it is not on all the time.
It could be a week before your file ever gets printed.

If you don't have an internet connection. Tough, PrinterShare is not for you. Get with it!! Get online. You probably won't even know about PrinterShare. Keep with yesterday's technology. Wot ever makes yah happy!!

Yes, it could be weeks before your document gets printed if your machine is rarely connected or switched on? Surely this could be a criticism of email too. Neva git me email anyways, didn't know yah had to turn me 'puta on and gee, wot's this in-tar-net thingy 'bout!!:eek: :lol:
Perhaps based on that we should go back to snail mail!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Seriously though, Printershare is not for everybody but it's up to you to decide if it's for you.

Just keep in mind, the Owner and the User are often the same person. For example, it allows my laptop to share the printer with the desktop at not cost. Also the Owner often is expecting the document to come through so has already booted and connected to the net. For example, your Mum has already asked you to send a photo of you and the kids, or you may have informed her by email, phone etc.

BURNZEE

Burnzee
26-11-2008, 10:22 AM
Hi Gion

Just a thought, if your partner is a teacher perhaps you could approach the school and tell them about PrinterShare. Being free, I don't think there would be much resistance from them installing it on the school's computer. Then all the teachers would be able to print directly there. What a great application.

BURNZEE

Bantu
26-11-2008, 11:41 AM
Yes, the Owner's machine must be turned on and online for the printout to happen

Since the Owner's computer has to be turned on anyway I see no added benefit of having this program when Windows Share will share printers anyway.

I have 3 printers shared from PC1.
HP Laser, Epson R800 and Epson R1900.
The R1900 has 2 USB Ports so is both shared and also connected to a print server.

Any of my other Computers can print to any of these 3 printers so long as PC1 is turned on, if it is turned off then they can print to the R1900 via the print server.

A 4th printer, a Kodak Photo Printer is connected to PC2 which is also shared but PC2 needs to be turned on.

I don't have any speed issue with printing through the 10/100 Network, my daughter prints from PC2 to PC1 via the network printing A3+ Roll Banners no problem.

I can't actually see what "PrinterShare" can do that my XP share system can't already do apart from if all my printers were broken down I could print to my neighbours printer maybe, I am sure he would be amused, but then again I think you can do internet share printing with Win XP also.

notechyet
26-11-2008, 11:53 AM
Bantu
Would you be able to tell if my Canon S6300 would work with the PSUS4 print server?
Thanks

Bantu
26-11-2008, 01:16 PM
linksys.co.nz
Just drop them an email.

http://tinyurl.com/PSUS4

Just because it is not on their compatibility list does not mean it will not work. I have had 3 different printers hooked up to mine over the time I have had it and none have been on their list.

CYaBro
26-11-2008, 01:39 PM
Hi CYaBro

If you don't have an internet connection. Tough, PrinterShare is not for you. Get with it!! Get online. You probably won't even know about PrinterShare. Keep with yesterday's technology. Wot ever makes yah happy!!

Yes, it could be weeks before your document gets printed if your machine is rarely connected or switched on? Surely this could be a criticism of email too. Neva git me email anyways, didn't know yah had to turn me 'puta on and gee, wot's this in-tar-net thingy 'bout!!:eek: :lol:
Perhaps based on that we should go back to snail mail!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Seriously though, Printershare is not for everybody but it's up to you to decide if it's for you.

Just keep in mind, the Owner and the User are often the same person. For example, it allows my laptop to share the printer with the desktop at not cost. Also the Owner often is expecting the document to come through so has already booted and connected to the net. For example, your Mum has already asked you to send a photo of you and the kids, or you may have informed her by email, phone etc.

BURNZEE

I am on the internet thank you very much.
Printshare is just an added point of failure on a local network where the user wants to print to another printer that is attached to another machine on their own local network.
Windows/Linux/MAC built in printer sharing is all you need for this. Why add another thing into the equation that could cause problems? And I could see lots of problems with this: Internet connection down - No print -- Printshare server down - No print --

Printshare may be fine for printing to a printer that is on the other side of the world/country/town but I can't see many times when someone would need to do that.
Any of my customers that have needed to print remotely to a printer in the office while they are at home have a VPN connection already so again Windows built in print sharing does the job.

Burnzee
26-11-2008, 08:32 PM
Hi CyaBro

Didn't mean to cause offense, just my warped sense of humor. I wasn't meaning you or any particular person. Just unknown someone who has a old computer and no internet connection. Not likely to read Press F1 forums are they?

Also tried to illustrate the principal of PrinterShare using email as an example. If my remarks caused you offense, I apologize unreservedly.

I'm not trying to convince anyone with a printer server etc to get rid of them. What I'm saying is, here's a neat way to share your Desktop Printer with your Lappie.

Printshare may be fine for printing to a printer that is on the other side of the world/country/town but I can't see many times when someone would need to do that.

Think you are missing the point here Bro. I often use my laptop in the same room as my Wife's Desktop. Now I can use the printer directly without interfering with her web surfing.

Any of my customers that have needed to print remotely to a printer in the office while they are at home have a VPN connection already so again Windows built in print sharing does the job

Great, but take a look at what Wainuitech came up with in my original posting.

It will actually come in handy for my wifes work - she works for a Real Estate company - one of the Big ones, and this will be handy for several agents that want to print to her work printer or vise versa, from anywhere in the country.

Her work tried to set up remote printing Via their server - but when the IT guy tried to teach some of them how to log into a server and print -- Ain't gonna happen.

How about the example for school using Printershare so their teachers can print directly from their laptops to the school printer. How about clubs etc so the Committee Members can print direct to the club's printer. These organizations don't have money for fancy printer servers etc. Now they can have the convenience without cost.

What about Doctors printing directly to their office from their laptop. The list goes on and on!!

Only your Customers know what's good for them. If you can sell them printer servers etc and your service. Great!! Enjoy it while you can. This new technology is coming. PrinterShare is just the start.

All the best

BURNZEE

CYaBro
26-11-2008, 08:47 PM
Think you are missing the point here Bro. I often use my laptop in the same room as my Wife's Desktop. Now I can use the printer directly without interfering with her web surfing.

BURNZEE

Haha no I'm not upset :banana
Just trying to understand something...

I think you are missing the point...why do you need to use any extra software to print to a printer that is shared on your own network?? What were you doing before you found PrinterShare?
Windows standard printer sharing works and doesn't interfere with what the user is doing on the machine that is sharing the printer.
No special software or print server needed for that. I mean people have been doing this since the days of Windows 3.11, and earlier probably, just by using the standard, built-in, free of charge, printer sharing.
Why do they suddenly need an extra piece of software to continue doing what they have been doing for years?

I can see where it may have its uses when you want to print to a printer that is remote to where you are.

Burnzee
26-11-2008, 09:07 PM
Hi CyaBro

Strange as it may seem not all computers in homes are networked, not all people are geeky enough to care. My computers aren't, not that I have anything against networking but just have not got around to it. What a lot of people are doing behind closed doors are using email to send documents/ photos to their partners computer. The partner then receives it and prints it out. Printershare does this automatically for them. We were doing this before I found Printershare. :eek: :groan: :lol:

In addition, people, like my kids etc don't actually live in the same house so wouldn't be part of my local network anyway can still send me documents to print out.

BURNZEE