PDA

View Full Version : You might not have permission to use this network resource.

J_Joyce
23-11-2008, 10:50 AM
Hi,
I have a home network workgroup setup with 3 computers connected via a 4 port dynalink adsl router rta1335. All computers can see each other, although when you try to connect to another computer through my network places, it doesnt matter which computer I am using an error box pops up with the message
"\\*** is not acessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
Access is denied."

I have gone through all my usuall troubleshooting techniques to try and solve this problem to no avail.
-All computers are running windows xp SP2 and are on the same workgroup.
-All computers are on the same /24 subnet, can ping each other and the default gateway.
-Turning off all firewalls including the windows firewall makes no difference.
-Simple file sharing is enabled and and sharing is setup correctly as far as I can tell.
-I have tried running the network setup wizard again on all computers.

Any help is much appreciated thanks
Jacob

jwil1
23-11-2008, 11:10 AM
Try going to Start --> Run, then typing \\ComputerName and pressing Enter.

Personally I wouldn't use My Network Places.

John H
23-11-2008, 11:17 AM
Well, I am using a Dynalink RTA 300, soon to be upgraded to the same router as yourself.

I have been using the RTA 300 for several years, with three computers on the same network. It is a mixed WLAN, all three pc's using WinXP Pro, Service Pack 3.

I get the same error as you. Sometimes. Some days, all work sweetly, other days for some unknown reason, one of the pc's will refuse access; other days it will be a different pc... One day one of the pc's will allow me to copy files to it or from it, the next day it will refuse with that annoying clang that Microsoft has designed to jangle our nerves.

I hope you will get an answer to your question, because I haven't been able to solve what is for me an intermittent annoyance.

Oh, sometimes I find that a reboot sorts it out. Sometimes it doesn't. :badpc:

J_Joyce
23-11-2008, 11:20 AM
Try going to Start --> Run, then typing \\ComputerName and pressing Enter.

Personally I wouldn't use My Network Places.

I should have mentioned I've tried connecting using both \\computername and \\ip address.

Going back about 4 months I had no problems at all, a month ago My brothers computer and my computer had trouble connecting to each other though we could sometimes connect by using the \\ip address method

linw
23-11-2008, 11:39 AM
You seem to have done the obvious checks. I presume you have at least one machine running the Computer Browser service? Go to this site for a methodical analysis http://www.crn.com/white-box/59200376.

The registry setting mentioned at the end has stumped many!

Good luck and let us know how you go.

J_Joyce
23-11-2008, 12:49 PM
You seem to have done the obvious checks. I presume you have at least one machine running the Computer Browser service? Go to this site for a methodical analysis http://www.crn.com/white-box/59200376.

The registry setting mentioned at the end has stumped many!

Good luck and let us know how you go.

I followed the steps in that link on mine and my brothers computer restarted and disabled the firewall and antivirus (avast)

Still no luck unfortunatly

Speedy Gonzales
23-11-2008, 01:26 PM
Have you ACTUALLY created, and shared a folder on any of them??

DON'T use the network wizard, it sucks

You've done everything else BUT the above, as far as I can see.

J_Joyce
23-11-2008, 02:20 PM
Hi Speedy, ok this is the weirdest thing. I just created a new shared folder and restarted on all computers. Everything's working fine now, who would've thought that creating a new shared folder when you already have existing shared folders would fix the problem after everything else I've tried.

Thanks for the help
Jacob

Speedy Gonzales
23-11-2008, 03:29 PM
Cool, the folders that are shared already are by default. Usually, you have to create and share a folder.

Altho, its not a good idea to share the whole hdd. In case one gets a trojan or something, or you could be in trouble

paulw
23-11-2008, 05:18 PM
Any hints how to sort this ame issue with a shard printer on a PC. On my wifes new laptop I get the same problem when trying to access a shared printer on my PC.. Was OK with her last one. Both laptops running Win XP SP2 and updates..

Speedy Gonzales
23-11-2008, 05:31 PM
Have you shared the printer?

And then on the networked PC gone to printers / add / a network printer, then browse for printer??

Or typed in \\pcwithprinter\name of printer (the name that appears after you share the printer)

Under connect to the printer