PDA

View Full Version : Problem with external hard drive

samstae
22-11-2008, 01:30 PM
The external hard drive is a Western Digital 500 Gb SATA Green Power

It suddenly stopped working one day, and I have tried connecting it directly into the computer and that makes the computer go really slowly.

When it is externally it starts up fine, and is recognised, but when it starts to be read it starts making clicking noises, and then just stops.

Any advise on how I can get it to work again? or just to get the data off it?

Thanks

pctek
22-11-2008, 01:41 PM
Its dead. If hooking it up direct failed, then you're doomed.

samstae
22-11-2008, 02:15 PM
Its dead. If hooking it up direct failed, then you're doomed.

i never said it failed when directly connecting, it just wouldn't boot the pc, it would try to boot from dvd/cd instead

Speedy Gonzales
22-11-2008, 02:18 PM
Change the bootdisk in the BIOS to the hdd

Then if its got windows on it, it should boot from it

Is it the hdd you boot from normally?? To get into Windows?

BUT if its clicking often, that doesnt sound good

Unless that PC has a floppy in it. If it has, remove it

samstae
22-11-2008, 03:32 PM
Change the bootdisk in the BIOS to the hdd

Then if its got windows on it, it should boot from it

Is it the hdd you boot from normally?? To get into Windows?

BUT if its clicking often, that doesnt sound good

Unless that PC has a floppy in it. If it has, remove it

I know it doesn't sound good, we did have it no hdd in the bios and it would still not boot from.

The hdd I am trying to get the stuff off does not have any form of OS on it, so I am not trying to boot from it.

There is no floppy either.

It takes an age to load the screen, with the second hdd, but will not as goes straight to the CD/DVD boot, and the hdd is recognised and seen by windows, e.g. It knows its there just cant get into it

Speedy Gonzales
22-11-2008, 03:43 PM
Does the system / mobo support SATA 2, or SATA 1??

Because another reason why windows cant open it, is the hdd is SATA 2, and the system supports SATA 1.

The hdd needs to be jumpered to SATA 1 (if the system only supports SATA 1)

gary67
22-11-2008, 04:03 PM
If you just wanna get stuff off of it try running a live linux CD and see if you can access it that way

samstae
22-11-2008, 05:33 PM
Does the system / mobo support SATA 2, or SATA 1??

Because another reason why windows cant open it, is the hdd is SATA 2, and the system supports SATA 1.

The hdd needs to be jumpered to SATA 1 (if the system only supports SATA 1)

I wouldn't be too sure if the if it is sata 1 or sata 2, but the hdd does come up as the slave when you put it on the motherboard if that is any help

If you just wanna get stuff off of it try running a live linux CD and see if you can access it that way

Which linux live CD, does it have to be a particular one?

Speedy Gonzales
22-11-2008, 05:38 PM
I wouldn't be too sure if the if it is sata 1 or sata 2, but the hdd does come up as the slave when you put it on the motherboard if that is any help

Are you sure its SATA?? And not IDE?? Since SATA doesnt have Slave, only Master

That could be another reason, why it went slow, when you connected it to the mobo. It was connected to another IDE device, that was jumpered the same way (slave or Master).

gary67
22-11-2008, 06:35 PM
No Ubuntu, Puppy or any distro that can be run direct from the CD I find that often I can recover data from drives that don't mount in Windows but will in Linux, except I use a dual boot system

pctek
22-11-2008, 07:38 PM
it just wouldn't boot the pc.................

..............The hdd I am trying to get the stuff off does not have any form of OS on it, so I am not trying to boot from it.

Make up your mind. You don't boot from an external drive anyway. Connected it would be treated as a slave and the PC will boot from the O/S drive.

samstae
22-11-2008, 09:10 PM
Are you sure its SATA?? And not IDE?? Since SATA doesnt have Slave, only Master

That could be another reason, why it went slow, when you connected it to the mobo. It was connected to another IDE device, that was jumpered the same way (slave or Master).

I know there is no slave, but when it boots it says slave and master, that may be just the mobo, the hdd is definately sata, no doubt about it

samstae
23-11-2008, 06:59 PM
Make up your mind. You don't boot from an external drive anyway. Connected it would be treated as a slave and the PC will boot from the O/S drive.

Yah...........

So why will the drive not be seen? am I doing something wrong?

pctek
23-11-2008, 07:50 PM
If the BIOS doesn't show the drive at all and the cables are connected properly then its dead.

samstae
24-11-2008, 05:01 PM
If the BIOS doesn't show the drive at all and the cables are connected properly then its dead.

The BIOS shows it as the slave as I said in 1 of the first few posts

gary67
24-11-2008, 05:50 PM

As I said here. Often dead drives can be resurrected long enough running live linux to retrieve your stuff

samstae
25-11-2008, 05:56 PM
As I said here. Often dead drives can be resurrected long enough running live linux to retrieve your stuff

I have the back track live CD, any chance you can coach me through how to use it to see my hard drive? As I have not used linux before...