PDA

View Full Version : CD/DVD driver issue?

Curbd
21-11-2008, 08:17 PM
Hey there once again fellow Pc'illians!
On a new Pc the Cd/Dvd drive is not playing or reading some Dvd's,
yet it will see the Sims2 latest disc fine, but not Oblivion.
I tried a system restore to get me back to a few weeks earlier when the problem started with a small glimmer of luck, it worked, then stopped working again.
Microsoft website has no help with Dvd drivers, so, any ideas?

Thankyou.

And yay! new smilies :D:D :banana

I just realised I gave no info about the drive, it's a TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653F

Thanks

feersumendjinn
21-11-2008, 08:44 PM
I would say you've either got a problem with the optical drive (most likely), the power or data cables, or its controller on the motherboard (are you having trouble with harddrives or any other symptoms?); I would recommend you take the drive (or the whole computer) back to your supplier.
You could try putting a dvd player cleaning disc through it (may just be a dusty laser).

Curbd
21-11-2008, 08:47 PM
Yes, thanks. I should have added that I originally did put a cleaning disc through it, but that only let it see the Sims2 disc (weird technology ae?!).
Seems strange that it can generally see it when I do a system restore to a previous date.
I think they must require drivers, under device manager you'll see it.
If they didn't have specific drivers then every drive would likely think they have all the capabilities.

Thanks

feersumendjinn
21-11-2008, 09:12 PM
You are right, there is generic drivers for all drives built into the OS (sorry, half-asleep), but I've never had those fail though, (possible I suppose, if the files are getting corrupted thru malware or hardware failure); you could try a repair install of XP ( possibly a bit drastic ) ; I have had a optical drive fail in a manner similar to yours, it wouldn't read/burn cds but would read/burn dvds, it was faulty and I got a new one under warranty (from Dick Smith).

Curbd
21-11-2008, 09:30 PM
No problem, I'm currently in the same state :P
I think I am slowly making progress, I will further address the issue in the morning and let you all know how I get on.
Thanks

Curbd
22-11-2008, 09:34 AM
Alright, The drive is seeing the Oblivion disc, but it cannot access any of the files.
For example, I click on setup.exe and it won't work, I click on setup.inf, and it gives me in notepad a messagebox saying 'Cannot open the E:/ setup.ini file. Make sure a disc is in the drive you specified'.

Yet the autorun.ini file works, it opens up in notepad and tells me all of it's code.

It cannot see my Dvd RAM discs at all, I put them in and you just hear the drive read.read.read.read.bickow (the only way to describe it lol)

The name also used to change to CD-rom drive instead of DVD-RAM if that's of any further help.

Thanks

feersumendjinn
22-11-2008, 10:02 AM
Yup, certainly sounds like the drive has died (reading the data is very marginal), best way to confirm is to try another drive (is this computer very new, Vista OS?, does it have a SATA data cabled optical drive or the older IDE cable, if IDE you could try an old cd-rom drive (with cds only of course :));another thing though, you may void your warranty opening the case :eek::horrified. Take it back.

pctek
22-11-2008, 11:07 AM
Dead drive. Get a new one. Not worth messing about with.

Curbd
22-11-2008, 11:24 AM
Yes it's very new, but running XP SP3, not vista.
Very odd for it to have died, as it is so new, and was fully operational only a matter of weeks ago, i think either a driver, or the registry has changed in some way to effect it's use.
Would somebody care to get me the (working) info from their regedit (run->regedit->ok) directory:
HKey_Local_machine-> System-> CurrentControlSet-> Services-> cdrom.
and the subfolder(s) if possible too. Thanks.
My pc might actually be thinking it's on an IDE port, it says under the Enum subfolder, by the name '0' : IDE\CdRomTSSTcorp_DVD+-RW_TS-H653F_______________D200____\5&1ab7cbc9&0&0.1.0

Leading me to believe something is wrong in that string, or maybe even BIOS.

Thanks again

-Oh and I don't mean to sound stubborn by rejecting your ideas of returning and/or scrapping it. I just hate having things wasted and sent away etc etc.

gary67
22-11-2008, 12:37 PM
IDE\CdRomHL-DT-ST_DVDRAM_GSA-4165B_____________DH09____\43354442433837333832363 62020202020202020.

Is what mine says, but then again mine is an IDE DVD drive running on a SATA capable motherboard, my HDD is SATA

Curbd
23-11-2008, 08:47 AM
Thanks, turns out I gave you another Reg directory I wanted to check sorry, would you (or anyone) please give me their info in:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Thanks again

Curbd
25-11-2008, 04:06 PM
Great! Dell replaced the drive without trouble, and it's all go again :D
Thanks all, for your suggestions and help (my Iq has probably increased a point in the process),
and also thanks to 'AOK Pc' if that is their company name, they replaced and configured the drive extremely quickly without hassle. Highly recommended.
Thanks again.