PDA

View Full Version : Skybox dvd tv hook up

Strummer
20-11-2008, 02:51 PM
I've just brought home a bravia klv32s400a lcd tv. I can't remember how to set this up with my sky box and my dvd recorder.
I'm just using a composite connection.

Can anyone write down a diagram down to show me how to go about it?

Many thanks
Strummer

CYaBro
20-11-2008, 03:28 PM
Should be pretty straight forward for composite connections.

From the Sky box you normally have a SCART to composite AV (red, white & yellow plugs) so you need to choose an input on the back of the TV and plug them in. They are colour coded so should be straight forward.
To get a better picture, if I was you, I would take your existing Sky cable to your local Sky office and ask for an S-video cable.

The DVD player will be the same except it will have a standard composite AV cable.
It would be a lot better to get a component cable for the DVD as it will improve the picture a lot on an LCD TV.

You will also want to make sure that the Sky box and DVD player are both set to 16:9 Widescreen in their setup menus.

You will also want a SCART to composite AV (or S-video is better again) from the Sky box to one of the inputs on the back of the DVD recorder so that you can record something off Sky.

Bantu
20-11-2008, 03:33 PM
Sky box Scart to TV
Sky box Scart to DVD Recorder IN

Strummer
20-11-2008, 04:31 PM
Thanks for your help guys coz I'm really struggling here.
How do I get onto my sky channels? I can only get the normal channels 1 to 3

I've put the Sky VCR scart to the TV
I've put the Sky TV scart to the DVD input
I've put the standard composit cable from the DVD output into the composit jacks next to ones I used for the the Sky VCR

CYaBro
20-11-2008, 04:34 PM
There will be an AV button on the TV remote.
I can't download the manual from Sony's site for some reason so can't tell what button it is.
Pressing the AV button will cycle the TV through all its inputs with each press.
AV1-->AV2-->AV3-->PC-->HDMI-->TV Tuner etc

Strummer
20-11-2008, 05:52 PM
Yeah I don't have the manual here either and I can't find the button anywhere. I'll have my better half look for it when she gets in. Thanks for your help.

Strummer

Safari
20-11-2008, 06:02 PM
Select the Menu button and then External Inputs

Strummer
20-11-2008, 08:01 PM
Thanks Safari, that's got it.

Cheers
Strummer

Strummer
28-11-2008, 11:29 AM
CYaBro, one more question...
You recommended changing my sky scart rca plugs to S-Video ones. I'll do that next week but what about connecting dvd to tv with an HDMI cable? Will that improve the tv channel viewing as well or just dvds?
Thanks
Strummer

SolMiester
28-11-2008, 11:46 AM
Just the DVD you play thru the DVD!

Strummer
08-12-2008, 04:02 PM
Okay sorry about this but I'm back again.
I've replaced the sky scart rca cable that went to my tv with a scart s-video cable. Now I don't have a picture.
I've read that the skybox should be set to s-video which I've just done.
Now what have I done??

CYaBro
08-12-2008, 10:38 PM
Are you sure you got the correct SCART-Svideo cable?
SCART plugs, for some reason, is directional not like a normal plug (RCA etc) that signal can go either way.
Your cable may be expecting the signal to be coming in from the S-video end and out through the SCART plug.
You need to cable that goes the other way.
My SCART - svideo cable actually has a switch on the SCART end so you can change the direction just by flicking the switch.

Strummer
09-12-2008, 07:41 AM
I asked if it was the right one at the counter and they said yes. Not that that means anything.
After reading what you've just said I decided to ring Sky and they are going to send me the right one out.

Cheers
Strummer

Strummer
17-12-2008, 09:15 AM
CYaBro,
Just thought I'd let you know that you were right. I was given the wrong S-Video cable even after explaining at the counter what it was for.
Sky sent me one out and it works fine.

Cheers
Strummer

CYaBro
17-12-2008, 10:27 AM
CYaBro,
Just thought I'd let you know that you were right. I was given the wrong S-Video cable even after explaining at the counter what it was for.
Sky sent me one out and it works fine.

Cheers
Strummer

Sweet. Glad you got it all sorted now :cool: