PDA

View Full Version : Pentium 166 Upgrade ?

30-05-2001, 09:41 PM
I have a friend who has a pentium 166 with 16 meg of memory (2 x 8 meg edo ram ).Is it a waste of time say putting in another 32 or 64 meg of memory. Will it run much faster?, or is it a better proposition to completely change the motherboard and processor? or is it better to just go out and buy a new PC to handle all the new technology i.e.
multimedia,scanners etc?.

Your reply would be greatly appreciated.

30-05-2001, 09:52 PM
16 mb RAM is very small go bigger first, it will probably get you better resale value too.
They say the differnce between 128 & 256mb RAM(after I upgraded) is minimal but at the lower end is considerable.

Scotty

30-05-2001, 10:50 PM
It depends on what the computer will be used for. It'll never handle the latest games(or even some of the older ones), but if browsing the internet, word processing,etc is all that its required for it'll be fine. A scanner will require more memory for image processing, especially in colour. Bringing it up to 64MB would make it run sweeter, but you probably would not see a huge improvement in performance. EDO ram is getting pretty expensive too(if you can get it). You will probably have to get 2 pairs of 16MB to get to 64MB and ditch the old memory, or 2 16MB plus your old memory for 48MB. I would not bother to upgrade as each component of the system is getting near its 'useby' date
and would hinder the performance of any new components installed.