PDA

View Full Version : Acer Laptop charger: Can I use in China?

justinsg
15-11-2008, 01:52 PM
Hi there,

My sister has an Acer Laptop brought from DSE about a year ago. TOMORROW she is going to china and taking it along. Being over there for about 4 weeks she's gonna need to charge it.
We have bought an adapter for it but it only has holes in the front for two pins of the charger (+ve and -ve) i.e. no earth socket.

The charger obviously has an earth and we have been to different electronics stores and the main consensus we have got is that - "You can't use it in china because they have no earthing system and if you try to it may cause your room to warm with a nice explosion".

Is there any way we can get it to charge over there - last resort is to buy an adapter over there but being china, you can't pinpoint exactly what you are getting and how safe it is.

jwil1
15-11-2008, 01:57 PM
Could you remove the earth pin (ie saw it off?)

She could buy a cheap laptop over there, if she has the money. They are often cheaper in China :D

Blam
15-11-2008, 02:01 PM
Buy them at the China airport-more expensive but also more reliable
OR buy a netbook there:D

justinsg
15-11-2008, 02:03 PM
Could you remove the earth pin (ie saw it off?)

Na. we asked a tech guy at Norman Ross in CHCH and he said that because of the type of charger that if we did that, it had a very high risk of blowing up. so thats kinda not an option.

Also considered buying a laptop over there but its gonna be a bit of a hassle so don't really want to go down that path.

justinsg
15-11-2008, 02:05 PM
Buy them at the China airport-more expensive but also more reliable

Sorry, do you mean buy the laptop, charger, or adapter over there?

Blam
15-11-2008, 02:07 PM
lol the adapter

feersumendjinn
15-11-2008, 02:12 PM
Maybe this'll help
http://www.kropla.com/china_power.htm

justinsg
15-11-2008, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I have checked the website feersumendjunn provided (thanks) and when she went to China last (w/out laptop) she only found sockets accepting Type A plugs. - which are ungrounded

feersumendjinn
15-11-2008, 04:22 PM
With Type A plugs/sockets and the Chinese 220v AC/50Hz supply, your charger will work (and NOT blow up) as it really doesnt matter which way you put the charger plug into the wall (its Alternating Current, not positive and negative (thats DC)).
The fact there is no ground/earth pin is beside the point, as your charger will be double-insulated (look for a logo on it, one square inside another).
Also it will probably say on the label that it will accept 100-240V AC and 50-60 Hz (like mine does).
Your shop-assistant/advisers are wrong.