PDA

View Full Version : Help with missing drivers

llabine1
14-11-2008, 09:44 AM
I am giving my old Dell Inspiron 8600 to a friend so I wiped the hard drive and reinstalled windows XP...I have a utilities and drivers disc and the OS reinstallation CD so I thought I was good to go...nope...now under device manager I have the following missing items

Ethernet Controller

Multimedia Audio controller

Network controller

PCI Modem

Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller

Video Controller (VGA) compatible

They all have nice big yellow question marks after them...I have downloaded and extracted all the drivers from the CD that had 8600 in them and still no go...I have Time Warner Roadrunner and use a Linksys router...without these items I obviously can't get on the Internet

Luckily I have another laptop that I am writing this on...is it possible to burn these drivers to a cd/dvd....I know they usually come in zip format how do I deal with that....I am not a novice but I am not a computer genius either so I really need help...the Dell board was zero help....

Thanks in advance

llabine1
View Public Profile
Find all posts by llabine1
Add llabine1 to Your Contacts

jwil1
14-11-2008, 09:53 AM
Yes you can burn them to CD - extract them to a folder each then launch the setup file to install the driver and get rid of the yellow ?'s.

wainuitech
14-11-2008, 09:56 AM
Try This page Dell Inspiron 8600 (http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&ServiceTag=&SystemID=INS_PNT_P4M_8600&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=) - being a laptop the driver CD should have been Ok as long as it was the right one, but that page has all the downloads anyway.

If its the correct Driver CD it should auto install, or give you the option to install what drivers you want - no need to extract them - run from the CD.