PDA

View Full Version : Linksys vs Netgear vs ?

Myth
14-11-2008, 08:44 AM
Am getting more annoyed at the Belkin and have decided its past time to get rid of it

My problem is what to replace it with

I know each brand has there own little following, so what Im particularly looking for is comments from those who have had more than 6 months personal experience with a particular brand.
Any pros/cons about the brand you use would also be welcomed

Thanks

wratterus
14-11-2008, 08:47 AM
I have always found dynalink to be really reliable. Simple and cheap, but reliable.

And dare I say it, the newer d-link equipment seems to be really good too, have had a 504t and 524up for a while neither have missed a beat.

Linksys is always good quality, im not so keen on netgear, have never ovnwed one but seen a lot fail.

Q man
14-11-2008, 08:57 AM
+1 for linksys
4 port wireless $120 can't go wrong.

FoxyMX
14-11-2008, 09:07 AM
My Dynalink ADSL modem/router has not missed a beat over the past four or so years, nor has the two-year-old LinkSys wireless broadband router.

Have installed a number of LinkSys modem/routers during the past couple of years that have also not given any trouble.

What problems are you having with your Belkin?

Bantu
14-11-2008, 09:26 AM
I had too many Dynalinks go back for repair or replacement years ago when I was selling their modems, I stopped selling their products, but maybe they have improved a bit since then.

I am Linksys all the way. Part of Cisco you can't go wrong imho.

sarel
14-11-2008, 09:35 AM
Had a Netgear router before the Belkin (for a few days - friend's that I borrowed) but I can say I did not like it - can't remember why though. From all reports on this forum they seem to be OK, but I would still say Linksys is still the Rolls of modems (imho)

sarel

memphis
14-11-2008, 10:34 AM
Check out www.cnetreviews.com (http://www.cnetreviews.com) and go to the All Categories list which is on the left side of the page and then go to networking and wi-fi page link.:thumbs:

Good reviews and with user feedback on the products as well!!!:thumbs:

:)

Myth
14-11-2008, 04:16 PM
What problems are you having with your Belkin?It needs to be rebooted quite often. Sometimes every 10 minutes or so, and then at other times its ok for a few days. Problem is DNS related because I can still ping ok

I had wondered whether it was ISP or router related, I know its not cable or NIC this has happened on seperate NICS, and the cable has been swapped over. Have also tried many different DNS servers of various ISPs as well as the servers of verizon and openDNS.com

I had wondered if it was just my ISP but then various others have reported issues on other ISPs with Belkin... the same issues

beeswax34
14-11-2008, 05:38 PM
Definitely Linksys, very good value for money.

zcc
14-11-2008, 11:15 PM
d-link is fine and it works with my linksys voip modem **OUT*OF*THE*BOX**.
Maybe that says more about linksys than d-link though!

feersumendjinn
14-11-2008, 11:24 PM
Had a D-Link DSL504G for years, never a problem (have upgraded to a DSL504T (ADSL2+ capable) on the strength of that).

Myth
23-11-2008, 05:51 PM
Based on this advice, and various other threads, I opted to buy a Linksys WAG200G
Thus far I am tentatively impressed, all websites loading properly and fully (with the Belkin I would have great issues loading even this forum.. it would load incorrectly, the icons would be missing, and various other things)
But its only been 2 days, hopefully it all continues like this :)

Chilling_Silence
24-11-2008, 06:50 PM
Having been doing a lot lately with VoIP, the biggest issue is crappy routers... Cant beat Linksys for price, not to mention its possibly *the* most reliable, least likely to overheat or crash after a few days of being up :)