PDA

View Full Version : Xtra Broadband and Belkin Router

Bussani
13-11-2008, 12:03 PM
I'm having some trouble right now, though I'm not sure whether it's the router or just Xtra goofing up.

Every now and then, usually when I'm downloading files or loading a video, my Internet will just freeze up. I still get a dial tone on the phone and I can still access the router's options, even wirelessly, but the Internet is just dead until I reset the router it seems.

There have been times in the past that I've had to reset the modem or something after the Internet's been down, but this isn't anywhere near that rare.

My router is a Belkin Wireless G. Right now I'm accessing it exclusively using the wireless, since my main PC is out of action. I'll try checking for firmware updates, but I thought I'd ask for opinions here and see if anyone else with Xtra is having similar problems.

Thanks in advance.

jwil1
13-11-2008, 12:25 PM
I have the same router with the same problem. It needs to be reset when it drops the internet connection - not sure of w workaround sorry.

We are on Telstra cable internet - so it's nothing to do with the ISP.

Bussani
13-11-2008, 04:57 PM
I have the same router with the same problem. It needs to be reset when it drops the internet connection - not sure of w workaround sorry.

We are on Telstra cable internet - so it's nothing to do with the ISP.

Hm, that's interesting. Thanks for the reply.

It seems there are no firmware updates for the router. I guess I'll check with Xtra next and see what they say (but of course, they'll probably just blame the router).

Edit: I thought I'd add that we do have two routers in the same house. Each is connected to a seperate phone line, seperate account and they each operate on different wireless channels though, so I don't think they'd be causing each other any trouble.

Myth
13-11-2008, 08:51 PM
I also have a Belkin router and have to reboot it quite often some days
Except Im with Orcon

Maybe it is the router

sarel
14-11-2008, 07:47 AM
I'm pretty sure it's the router - it's Belkin - see previous posts in this regard. I had one, had the same problems, changed routers and I've yet to experience any major problem. Therefore - for peace of mind get rid of the router. There are also no updated firmware available so your problem will continue.

Wratterus - had any joy playing with that router?

sarel

Bussani
14-11-2008, 11:34 AM
Thanks Sarel. Any recommendations for a replacement?

sarel
14-11-2008, 01:52 PM
I went wireless with Telecom (my ISP) and use their wireless D-Link (I think). Once the setup problems were sorted no problems. Really happy with it (touch wood)

Linksys seems to be very good.

sarel

Bussani
24-11-2008, 03:00 PM
Well, I got myself a Linksys Gateway + Wireless Router and hooked it up. Seems to be going okay for the moment, but it did get very hot, very fast. Is that normal/healthy?

Silver_Blade
24-11-2008, 04:58 PM
Linksys is the best router what ever you get from ur isp disregard it and buy your own linksys unless you are joining xnet which supply a linksys router with your connection.

The heat happens as its very humid now as long as the routers on something hard like wood or so not on paper etc...
Its all good

Myth
24-11-2008, 07:00 PM

We are on Telstra cable internet - so it's nothing to do with the ISP.Don't waste your time... I tried for ages and then finally gave up on my Belkin router

Have now bought a Linksys WAG200G
WAG200G from Computer Lounge ... $120
No more stress from pages that don't load or don't load properly ... priceless :D