PDA

View Full Version : Can others browse through my files?

Bazman
11-11-2008, 09:24 PM
I use Windows XP Pro and am connected to a local area network. I was wondering if other users on the network can somehow browse through my files and folders. I went to System Properties and unchecked Remote Assistance and Remote Desktop. Is there anything else I need to do? and will they be able to access my stuff through command prompt?

What is the little tool I can use in cmd that will show me a run down of all the computers that are currently active on the work? so the ip adds that are in use.

Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
11-11-2008, 09:29 PM
Dont think so, not unless you've shared folders.

Remote desktop and assistance, have nothing to do with it. These are used online, (ie: if you want to help someone locally / overseas, remotely with a prob), not within a network (normally)

They're also usually used with Windows messenger (which probably noone uses). There are better (and free) programs to use besides remote desktop

By the looks of it there isnt a command to show all ips. You would need a program for this

Something like this maybe (http://www.lookatlan.com/)

Speedy Gonzales
11-11-2008, 09:50 PM
Nope that program doesnt look like it deals with a network

Metla
11-11-2008, 11:04 PM
I was wondering if other users on the network can somehow browse through my files and folders.

Thanks

Sure can, I'm looking at your files right now.

Kinky.

Erayd
11-11-2008, 11:52 PM
Is something like netstat what you're after?

WarNox
12-11-2008, 10:39 AM
People can only look at your files in shared folders, so if the folder isn't shared they can't!

'netstat -n' shows you all the active connections to/from your computer, not all the IPs of devices on the network. Don't think there is a way to do that, well not with a built in windows tool, Vista builds a network map. If you can log into the router and look at the DHCP it'll show you all the IP's its given out.

Erayd
12-11-2008, 10:55 AM
Aah, I think I can see what you're wanting to achieve. What about nmap?

The above suggestion about looking at the DHCP lease table is also a good one.

wratterus
12-11-2008, 11:02 AM
There is the administrative share, example \\127.0.0.1\c$ others can do that too if they know how.

You can disable it though, if you want to.

Hive: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Key: SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanManServer\Par ameters
Name: AutoShareWks
Data Type: REG_DWORD
Value: 0