PDA

View Full Version : desktop icons changing on their own

lkelly
11-11-2008, 07:31 PM
Why oh why do my icons change without me doing it. Some websites that have short cuuts placed on my desktop seem to create their own icon which is great (not sure how it works though) however recently a CNN icon keeps forcing itself onto my quickpick shortcut for ASB bank despite me changing it back. Still links to ASB but has a CNN icon. ??? why and how to stop it. Cheers W XP pro

Speedy Gonzales
11-11-2008, 08:10 PM
Have you scanned for malware etc??

Post a hijackthis log, its below. Install it run it, click on scan the system and save a log. Copy and paste the log here

We'll see if its infected with anything

Jen
11-11-2008, 08:25 PM
Why oh why do my icons change without me doing it. Some websites that have short cuuts placed on my desktop seem to create their own icon which is great (not sure how it works though) however recently a CNN icon keeps forcing itself onto my quickpick shortcut for ASB bank despite me changing it back. Still links to ASB but has a CNN icon. ??? why and how to stop it. Cheers W XP proThe icons are called favicons, mini icons created by the website developers. They can be difficult to control as it is easy to lose them completely or have one take over other websites favicons. If you look at your browser favourites (or bookmarks) list, you should see the same icons.

What internet browser are you using?

lkelly
12-11-2008, 01:17 PM
using IE 7
re infection, have a hardware firewall, Norton 360, adaware also. Cheers