PDA

View Full Version : XP Service Pack 3 Problems

nedkelly
11-11-2008, 06:22 PM
Hey i just installed Xp Service Pack 3 onto my Acer Travelmate 230 that was running windows xp pro sp 2 before and now when i start it up it gets to as far as loading the background for the login screen and then it restarts. What can i do to fix this? Oh yeah it also does the same thing if i try to go through safe mode.

Speedy Gonzales
11-11-2008, 06:33 PM
Has it got an Intel or AMD CPU in it??

It sounds like the issue AMD's had with SP3

nedkelly
11-11-2008, 09:47 PM
Intel Celeron 2.2 GHz. What do you mean by an issue AMD is having with SP3? Cause i upgraded my desktop to sp3 as well and that has no problems and it is an AMD

wainuitech
11-11-2008, 10:02 PM
It should work as I have a Customers Acer Laptop 230 ( celeron 2.2 & 512Mb RAM) in the workshop that I just installed Sp3 onto with no problems.

Did you disable all antivirus/ Antispyware programs these can stop SP3 from installing.
Can you start the Laptop in safe mode / or safe mode with command Prompt?

To try, keep tapping F8 on startup, if you can get into windows in safe mode run system restore back to before the SP3 install - it will have made a restore point as long as restore was working.

The AMD issue - its mainly to do with HP/Compaq - Simple explanation - they stuffed up with the factory images when they were installed - when SP3 installs it thinks the CPU is a Intel as thats what the OS is saying it is, BUT its actually an AMD so it gets into a endless reboot trying to run on a system that is not compatible. --- Bit like putting Oil in the car petrol tank, it will go in but sure as hell wont work.

If a person had a AMD HP/Compaq theres a patch that MS & HP have that has to be installed BEFORE SP3 is applied, that then reverses/ corrects the information and then SP3 generally installs fine.

On PC's /Laptops that have AMD's if the the install is not a HP/compaq image they usually install fine.

Installed many SP3's on AMD with out any problems. You would find that if you had a HP/Compaq with the reboot problem, wiped the drive and put XP back on not using the factory recovery it will go in fine

nedkelly
11-11-2008, 10:28 PM
yeah as soon as the problem happened i tried to go through safe mode but it just restarted like it did if i started it normally. Why does Sp 3 need anti-virus and anti-spam disabled? SP 2 didn't need it off

wainuitech
11-11-2008, 10:47 PM
yeah as soon as the problem happened i tried to go through safe mode but it just restarted like it did if i started it normally. Why does Sp 3 need anti-virus and anti-spam disabled? SP 2 didn't need it off It doesn't HAVE to have Antivirus software disabled, but MS highly recommend to disable any sort of security as it "can" have an effect.

Do you have a Windows XP CD with the laptop - being that model it should have come with one ( the customers One I have here did) ??

retry starting in safe mode - this time select " Disable automatic restart on system failure" - reboot - you should get an error code, could be something like ( EXAMPLE) 0x00000024 IF by some chance the error code is 0x00000024 , reboot , get back into the options and select " Enable VGA Mode" then hopefully it will boot, click start/run type in CMD, ,< Press Enter> in the box type in chkdsk /p/r if it wont run, it should ask to run on next rebbot, select yes and reboot.

If you do have the XP CD, boot from it, select R to run the recovery console, at the prompt type in the above chkdsk /p/r and run it.

IF you dont have the XP CD download This zipped file (http://vlaurie.com/computers2/downloads/recovery_console_cd.zip) to a working XP computer its a program for creating CD for a windows recovery console .

Download and unzip the contents to a folder, read the " Readme.html" it tells you how to make a bootable CD for the XP recovery Console. Boot from it, load the recovery console and run chkdsk with the switches mentioned above.

Hopefully you will now have a booting PC. IF not - still a few more things to try ..... :sleep:sleep time - I'm stuffed

PS: If the error code is different to the one above what is it please.

nedkelly
12-11-2008, 08:01 AM
Na i dont have the disk cause my mate gave it to me cause it was not working and so his parents were going to get rid of it

wainuitech
12-11-2008, 08:13 AM
Get rid of it because of a corrupted file ???

Bit over the top - get the zip file and make the recovery CD - see if chkdsk will fix it - Its fixable just depends on what needs to be done.

PS: sorry never noticed the last comment in the original post regarding safe mode - Long day, but try the Disabling auto restart etc & VGA mode.

nedkelly
12-11-2008, 09:33 AM
no it wasn't a corrupted file the laptop would not start up, it just lit the screen up black and that was as far as it went. So they were going to chuck it so i asked if i could have it, they said i could provided that if i got it working i was to see if there were any private files left on it and then give them to them. So i had a look at it and then it started working until yesterday:badpc:.
Dont worry about over looking the last post cause you did reply at 10PM

nedkelly
22-11-2008, 05:59 PM
Hey wainuitech i did what you said with chkdsk and the windows disk and it still did not work

wainuitech
22-11-2008, 06:46 PM
Hey wainuitech i did what you said with chkdsk and the windows disk and it still did not work Hmm OK a few things to try - may involve a couple of downloads - but will take it one at a time.

Can you boot into safe mode with command Prompt ??

IF you can, once in the CMD box type in C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe when restore opens, select a time before SP3 was installed. Let it run through, and it "should now boot"

IF it doesn't boot into safe mode with command prompt, reboot and select "Disable Automatic restart on System Failure" - reboot, there will be a BSOD - please post back the EXACT error code.

The message thats needed will be the problem area,

Example only---- INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE followed by 0x00000???

Dont need the -- (parameter xxxxxxxx Parameter xxxxxxx----)

The problems you are having is a driver issue someplace - but these generally happen on AMD PC/laptops.