PDA

View Full Version : System not posting

GeneralKanos
11-11-2008, 03:36 PM
Ok so I have flashed the BIOS (it worked).

So I went into the BIOS to set my settings again (RAID etc) and also set my CPU multiplier from 6x to the usual 8x. However, while this was updating the romsip table the PC shut down for some reason.

I have disconnected power and cleared the CMOS and put in the mobo cd, but whenever I boot up it just hangs on a black screen (screen doesnt even wake up from standby).

I know it is a corrupted BIOS or ROMSIP but how can I fix it, or is my mobo dead?

Speedy Gonzales
11-11-2008, 04:05 PM
It should reflash it if you put the mobo cd in then reset it / turn it on. If its that ASUS in your sig

Did you put the jumper back on for the CMOS clear??

Or try downloading a later version of the BIOS, rename it to whatever it says to, in the manual

Then burn it to cd or copy it to a floppy

The corrupted BIOS wasnt on the mobo cd was it??

GeneralKanos
11-11-2008, 06:13 PM
I have tried putting the cd in but it doesnt even spin.
Ive tried several ways of clearing the CMOS.

Thing is I had updated to the latest BIOS and it had worked. It was after when I was fiddling with the CPU multiplier and while it was updating the ROMSIP table that it crashed.

Speedy Gonzales
11-11-2008, 06:25 PM
I would go through here (http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P5N-E+SLI&board_id=1)

See if anyone has had the same prob and a possible fix

The battery isnt flat or near flat is it?

GeneralKanos
12-11-2008, 02:45 PM
Thanks. I'll have a browse.

I don't think the batt is dead. I just built the PC at the start of the year. How would I check it? Battery tester?

GeneralKanos
12-11-2008, 05:27 PM
Ok so I bought a new CMOS batt and that didnt help at all.

I'm thinking of taking the board back to where I bought it and see if they can either fix it or give me a new board as it's still under warranty.

Speedy Gonzales
12-11-2008, 06:07 PM
I wouldnt say, that you flashed the BIOS and it screwed it. When you take it back

I doubt this would be covered under the warranty

Since it was going when you brought it, and you killed it by flashing the BIOS

Did you go through the ASUS forum??

GeneralKanos
12-11-2008, 07:39 PM
Ill see if they can do anything anyway otherwise Ill just get a new board.

Ive read through the forum and put a new thread in. Ill see what It comes up with....

qazwsxokmijn
12-11-2008, 09:08 PM
So it's completely dead? I know the P5 series can be flashed using a data stick, no need for a floppy or CD.

GeneralKanos
12-11-2008, 10:30 PM
I have tried using the mobo cd to try and flash it but the dvd drive wont even spin up.
Ill try and see if it will work with a flash stick tho.

Speedy Gonzales
13-11-2008, 08:15 AM
I nearly had the same thing happen last night lol

I saw there was an BIOS update last night, (which fixes what the previous 2 updates failed to do), so flashed it.

It said it worked, and said 5 secs it'll reboot.

It never rebooted. And nothing happened. The screen stayed blank.

It sounds exactly, what you did and saw. The power came on, and there was no beep (like there usually is). I thought uh-oh.

In the end, I had to pull the CMOS jumper (I didnt remove the battery), off and short it on the other pin

Phew. That got it going. And I reconfigured the BIOS. I'm using it now

BUT, I see ASUS have removed this update now (they've done this before, and put it back after).

So, not too sure if it was buggy, or missing code or what.

But, at the mo, this is running fine