PDA

View Full Version : Vista & XP File Sharing

pctek
11-11-2008, 11:05 AM
OK, networking isn't my thing but I had to setup sharing yesterday. Laptop running Vista which connects wirelessly through router.

PC running XP connected to router via ethernet cable, laptop to be able to access folders on XP PC.

Router already set up.

I ran the network wizard OK, and the laptop found the PC. I then went to install some other stuff on the PC when the laptop lost the PC again for no reason I could see. Hadn't done anything else to the PC at this point.

I then spent ages re-doing it, rebooting and going nuts. Was at the point of getting another network tech when it decided to find the PC again for no particular reason I could see.

It wasn't that the laptop lost the router wwell, except for once, because I could get the internet coming up.

ANy ideas? Or just something weird with the 2 O/Ss way of talking to each other?

Makes you look like a right halfwit..................

Speedy Gonzales
11-11-2008, 11:17 AM
Dont use the network wizard. Its hopeless

Do it manually

Make sure firewalls if any are configured

I think you have to put Vista on private?

wainuitech
11-11-2008, 11:18 AM
As long as both are on the same Workgroup and folders shared ( Xp is easy as you know) then they "should talk" disble any firewalls and security on the Router ( for wireless) - for testing purposes have a read through This PDF (http://dl1u.savefile.com/753865c4745d29cd9216e697d9326f0d/Sharing_in_Vista.pdf) on Vista file sharing ( should download it was a right %&%$&% to upload).

hate it when a simple job turns to custard - makes a person look durhhh sometimes - off to set up a network myself - ( Famous last words) :)

pctek
11-11-2008, 11:39 AM
XP didn't need to see Vista, only the Vista PC needed to see XP.

I know it worked because it did but then it vanished a bit later.

WORKGROUP was called WORKGROUP, mainly because Vistas help said to.
XPs default wanted to be MSHOME.

Folders were shared.

It saw it. Then it didn't. Weird.

Thanks Wainui, downloaded that, wll have a read later, could be handy for this sort of rubbish next time.

wainuitech
11-11-2008, 01:00 PM
Try changing the workgroup on Vista to MSHOME.

I don't know why, but I have had several occasions ( mine included) where the workgroup has been called WORKGROUP -(both Xp &Vista) and they didn't want to "talk" - changed to MSHOME and away they went ?????

Just in case - to change the workgroup in Vista, Right click on Computer and choose Properties.
Click Change Settings (on the right hand side about 3/4 down) under Computer name, domain and workgroup settings.

linw
11-11-2008, 07:11 PM
It certainly can work! Presume pings are OK.

Vista m/c - ctrl panel/network and sharing center. Network discovery set on. File sharing set on.

XP m/c set for simple file sharing.

Check service 'Computer Browser' is running on the master machine.

Can take over 10 min for browse tables to be set up and shared.

The 'same workgroup' is an urban myth but it is tidier to have same group. Certainly doesn't matter what it is called, though.

Agree, setting up networks in front of the client can be a fraught experience! Hate it myself. Nothing can make you look more stupid:mad: