PDA

View Full Version : HELP Downgrade to XP

cityhunter2000
10-11-2008, 08:59 PM
Just brought a new acer note book for a friend which came with xp downgrade discs. I put in the disk formater cd as instructed and then insert the xp cd and then when machine reboots it shows bootmgr missing and thats it. anyone has an acer which knows how to solve this problem.

Thanks

Blam
10-11-2008, 09:54 PM
Did you install XP then the error came up?
Or was it vista and then the error came up?
If its vista, startup repair on the vista CD should fix it.
Or, boot into the vista dvd and go to command prompt.
type "bootrec /fixboot" and press enter

cheers
Blam

Greven
10-11-2008, 11:03 PM
It was quite pleasant in this forum before the spammers came back.

IT sounds like there may be a problem with the restore DVD. Try start the process again, and if that doesn't work you may have to try hit up acer for another set, or borrow an actual XP pro cd off someone.

I've never looked into how the downgrade to XP works - do you have to ring Microsoft & get them to give you an XP key?

cityhunter2000
10-11-2008, 11:12 PM
Thanks guys. It took me 2 hours and finally figured it out. The restore CD does not boot. you have to use a seperate boot cd (I thought it was a vista restore cd) the use the xp restore cd after that. Very confusing but it worked. So if I want to restore to vista I can use alt+f10 which is the hidden partition inside the hd. Never liked acer as always brought HP or Dell but they want it cheap. I've send the $100 to acer and see if they actually give any cask back or not. has anyone got any money back from acer yet.