PDA

View Full Version : Lost Domain name and search engine submission

Morgenmuffel
10-11-2008, 05:47 PM
Hi all

Clients bought company including website (which was no longer online), and the companies domain name is listed as owned by the original webdesigner and their effort to get it back have been fruitless.

Anyway they decided to alter the company name slightly (actually it was the name most people refer to the company as anyway), however the old company (which is only different by one letter) is still listed in a number of Web directories and search engines, and these links all point to the old domain.

Now as the new site is basically the old site with the sitename altered and the meta tags changed (they were advertising a completely different business), is this going to cause an issue with duplicate content.
There is no website at the old address, however the old site is still appearing a number of NZ search directories, (searchnz, nzsearch, rocketsearch, and a few business search things), from what i understand the site has been down for a number of months.

I want to submit a new listing wiht the new companies details and new domain, just want to make sure the site isn't going to get blocked as the sites still have the old site in their databases.

Thanks for reading this rather long query.

stu161204
10-11-2008, 06:42 PM
Hi Nigel :)

if your worried about getting your site blocked, you could try e-mailing those Web directories & search engines & explain what happened, & I am sure most of them would be happy to remove that site from there directories / search engine.

Or you could just e-mail them & tell them that link is dead & I am sure it will be removed & then you can submit the new site.

Good luck!

Morgenmuffel
10-11-2008, 07:56 PM
Cheers Stu, I've been doing that, just wondered what others thought,
already had some responses and some of the old links have been removed.

Now all I have to do is track down a list of sites to submit to, it's embarrassing I lost my list last time and got one from here, but now I can't even find my own post on here

Morgenmuffel
10-11-2008, 08:04 PM
Ahh found that missing links pages cheers Stu (http://pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=71653&highlight=search+engines)

edit
-------------------
really is one of those days, I should have checked the link properly first