PDA

View Full Version : Video blanks and computer hardlocks but still spins

zather
09-11-2008, 05:19 AM
I have an issue where my computer is crashing in idle. The video will go to black and my monitors will act like there is no signal. The computer will hardlock (i.e. numlock/caplock change will not register). I haven't seen the crash happen when I was using the computer. I thought at first it might be the graphics card overheating so I blew the computer out. Also I play Warhammer and it has never happened while in game so that somewhat rules out heat issues.

I have checked the event log and the last three times it has crashed it has had a DCOM error as the last event. The DCOM error is linked to iTunes but I don't know it could crash my system.

Any insight to what might be happening would be helpful.

Thanks.

CCF
09-11-2008, 07:06 AM
Hmm I too would have thought it would be an over heated gfx card. Had a very similar issue with a mx400 and 6600GT back a while ago. Turns out it that the gfx heatsink became loose, hence heat wasnt getting dispensed properly.

So if its not your gfx heating, possible the ram is screwing up? You can give MemTest a try MemTest (http://majorgeeks.com/MemTest_d350.html) Faulty ram/dying ram can too pull tricks like this from my experience.

AV, Spyware and HijackThis logs all looked ok?

Speedy Gonzales
09-11-2008, 07:11 AM
Does it bring up a blue screen??

If it does, but you cant see it, right mouse on my computer on the desktop (or press the windows key / pause).

Go to advanced / startup and recovery / settings. Untick automatically restart

If this is XP

zather
09-11-2008, 08:03 AM
It isn't acting like a bluescreen. It doesn't restart automatically. It is though, the graphics card. It only crashes in idle because the GPU fan does not spin as high in idle vs in high load. After it crashed I noticed that the GPU fan over compensated and was spinning very loud. I made sure it was it's fan and put my finger on it to adjust the noise. Turns out it had an adverse affect and caused the computer to not boot a couple times. Played with the same fan again and it booted. Right now the computer is open with a fan on it. Guess its time to go new gen GPU.

stormdragon
09-11-2008, 09:25 AM
Why not get something like HWMonitor (http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php) and check the temps.

BTW Welcome to PressF1