PDA

View Full Version : How do I rename my Wireless Network

johcar
08-11-2008, 01:27 PM
Just installed wired BB via Telecom, using their wizard (sick to death of the Woosh Wireless signal dropouts - it's only taken 4 years! :o ).

The ADSL modem is a Thomson and the wizard, although it allowed me to set my own password (gee, thanks!), didn't present me with any opportunity to name my network something meaningful - it's currently called "Thomson52DD3B".

I can't remember the IP address you have to use to access the wireless settings (I previously had a Netgear Wireless Router set up and working nicely - but that router didn't appear to want to play with the standard ADSL modem I first got from Telecom).

Running XP Pro, SP3.

Speedy Gonzales
08-11-2008, 01:31 PM
I would say you'll have to find out what the ip is, to log into its config.

So you can change the SSID. if thats what youre changing

johcar
08-11-2008, 01:41 PM
Thanks Speedy - but how do I access its config?

Speedy Gonzales
08-11-2008, 01:44 PM
lol i dont know. Google the model of it, and see if there's a manual

If you havent got one (which is pretty hopeless, if you didnt get one)

Or ring Xtra.

wainuitech
08-11-2008, 02:03 PM
To find the Routers IP - Click Start/Run type in CMD Press Enter - In the Command box type in ipconfig Press enter - look for Default Gateway the routers address will be there. Lets say the address is 192.168.1.1 in your browser, type in http://192.168.1.1 Press enter and you should get the login screen - I think from memory the user name and password is admin / admin

Those Thomson Modem/routers Telecom supply are a pain in the arse, I think Telecom have had them changed so its not easy to reconfigure - not user friendly at all.

Safari
08-11-2008, 02:03 PM
To find the Router's IP; while connected to it go to Start--> Run and type cmd and hit enter. Then type ipconfig and hit enter. The Default Gateway is the Router's IP Address...enter that IP in you Web Browser.

johcar
08-11-2008, 02:04 PM
Good advice Speedy - I must remember, Google is my friend.

Got an answer from a help Forum:

Start>Run>CMD then type arp -a, press enter and you get the router address.

Type the IP returned by the above query into the address bar of your browser and configure to your heart's content!!

johcar
08-11-2008, 02:05 PM
Thanks to everyone else too!!

wainuitech
08-11-2008, 02:09 PM
After a bit of "reading" I think the default address is 192.168.1.254 Have a look at This forum at GeekZone (http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?ForumId=39&TopicId=24163) - gives instructions