PDA

View Full Version : DVD Playing

Poppa John
07-11-2008, 11:35 AM
Hi All

Maryann recorded a lot of photos onto a DVD-RW. Her Comp is not available at the moment . I Have an Imation DVD player/recorder, but her discs wont run on it. If I put one in, it spins up then the comp locks up. I have to reboot.

What could be causing this?? Thanks. PJ

PS 6th Wedding Aniversary today. Not bad for a couple of reconditioned oldies eh? PJ

Speedy Gonzales
07-11-2008, 11:38 AM
Dont use DVD-RW. Use DVD+ or -

RW's arent reliable, and dont/wont play on most dvd's

Most standalone DVD players wont play DVD-RW either

Its probably, because it isnt finalised

Roscoe
07-11-2008, 11:47 AM
I agree with Speedy. The disc most probably needs to be finalised but, of course, you don't want to finalise a RW otherwise it is no longer a RW. So burn your pics to another (not RW) and make certain that you finalise and it should work.

Speedy Gonzales
07-11-2008, 12:14 PM
Well you can finalise RW's. BUT with DVD's, (and CD's), blanks arent meant to be formatted.

Before you write to them, whatever program you use will do whatever.

So / and, if you want to play it in a standalone player, it definitely wont play it

utopian201
07-11-2008, 01:27 PM
depending on your dvd burner, you can set the book type of the dvd-rw/+rw to dvd-rom. Older set top players will recognise it as a dvd-rom and may help with compatibility.

Not all dvd burners can do this though.

Speedy Gonzales
07-11-2008, 01:32 PM
I still wouldnt use / bother with RW's

Poppa John
30-11-2008, 10:33 AM
HEEEEELP! I made a slight typing error with this post...:blush:

I SHOULD have typed DVD+RW.

Any help with this will be appreciated as Maryann wanting to finish off a photo book to send to UK!

If she can 'get at' the photos, I may get a nice roast dinner, when she finishes aforementioned book. :groan:

Speedy Gonzales
30-11-2008, 10:39 AM
Use + or -. Not RW's + or -

Poppa John
30-11-2008, 12:19 PM
Speedy...Too late for that, the data is already on RW+ disc. The question is, how to get at it. PJ

Poppa John
30-11-2008, 12:42 PM
Further .

The Imation is a multi Player/recorder. The drive in the computer is CD only.
I tried a Photo CD created by Maryann's computer & it also locks up the computer in both the CD player & the Imation Multi. I have to reboot my computer.

Is it possible that Maryann's comp is redording in a "Language" that my comp has not got? (Does that make sense?) PJ

wainuitech
30-11-2008, 01:53 PM
One of the things you will need is a PC that had a DVD Player Min - as harsh as this may sound, a CD Player/Writer will NOT read a DVD.

If your wifes PC is not currently available it may have to wait till it is, some DVD RW's are a pain in the butt - as mentioned before they have a VERY high failure rate, often dont work in other players, either on another PC, or DVD player connected to a TV.

Just been looking - and I came across This data recovery programs (http://uneasysilence.com/archive/2007/08/11963/) for CD's and DVD's. --- Its free
The Drive in the PC MUST be a DVD player at Min - I loaded in a damaged and completely unreadable CD RW that windows wont even see that I was given a few years back, and that program read the data on it, and extracted it perfectly to the PC.
Put the DVD in the PC that has the DVD player - Hold down the SHIFT key when you put in the DVD, that kills the auto run - if the PC doesn't lock up, try that program to extract the data.

PS: Congratulations on your Wedding Anniversary.:banana

Thomas01
01-12-2008, 09:58 AM
Normally I regard Speedy as some sort of Superman and agree with everything he says. I take his advice without question.
But his comments about RW DVDs startled me.
I had endless problems with RW CDs and eventually wrote them off. But have been delighted with my stock of DVD RWs
For TV work I use a Sony DVD Writer to record programs etc and find they play with no problems in my 2 laptops and one desktop or a Philips player we also have. I constantly delete the disks and use them over and over again.
And so far have no problems using them in the computers either. But I don't use them much in that way except for long term back ups and agree there that the + or - R disks are a better and cheaper choice.
Since getting my 8mg flash drive I find I use that for shifting just about anything. I don't even use a network between desk and lap top computers any longer.