PDA

View Full Version : Apply Erayd's PF1 script to Opera

wratterus
07-11-2008, 09:43 AM
Could someone please give me a quick walkthrough? Having a little difficulty getting it to co-operate. :blush:

I've given up on FF on my work PC, and I'm enjoying Opera.

Two other things, how do you get Opera to open up with multiple home pages, and what ad blocking software/addons are recommended?

Thanks in advance. :thumbs:

Renmoo
07-11-2008, 10:04 AM
how do you get Opera to open up with multiple home pages
First, load all the websites that you intend to have for your homepages. Next, go to File and save the session. After that, configure the session to load the saved session whenever Opera starts.

You may need to install an extension for that (it's has been a while since I last touched the extensions for Opera).

Cheers :)

wratterus
07-11-2008, 10:16 AM
Good one Jamuz, so simple when you know where to look. Cheers. :)

FoxyMX
07-11-2008, 10:18 AM
Could someone please give me a quick walkthrough?

Open a new Notepad file, save it to your Desktop as PressF1.css ensuring that "All files" are selected in the "Save as type" drop-down box.

Copy and paste Eray's code into your new file:

.fairfax_nav,
#advert-banner,
#header,
#navigation,
td[width="170"],
img[alt="PC World Forums"]
{display: none;}

Save then close file. Note: the above is very old code just used for an example. You will need to hunt down the latest for it to work properly.

In Opera go to Help > About Opera and take note of the Opera Directory, eg C:\Program Files\Opera\profile\. If you have more than one account on your machine your path may vary.

Close Opera and navigate to the above folder.

Move your PressF1.css file to the C:\Program Files\Opera\profile\Styles\user folder (or the \Styles\user folder in the path you located in the step above).

Open Opera and navigate to the Press F1 Home Page.

Press F12, choose "Edit site preferences" > Display tab.

In the "My style sheet" field at the bottom of the dialogue box navigate to your PressF1.css file by clicking on "Choose" (or enter the full path to your PressF1.css file), eg C:\Program Files\Opera\profile\Styles\user\PressF1.css

Press F1 should now display a "cleaned up" version of each page. If it does not do the following:

Go to toolbar's View > Style > Manage Modes and ensure that "My style sheet" is selected under "Author mode".

To toggle the cleaned up version of Press F1 just perform the previous step whenever required.

Two other things, how do you get Opera to open up with multiple home pages,

In addition to Jamez's suggestion another way is to add bookmarks to the Personal Bar folder in Bookmarks and put that folder up on a toolbar. When you want to open all the pages, click on the bookmark and choose "Open all folder items".

and what ad blocking software/addons are recommended?

I use Tamil's ad-block filter (http://my.opera.com/Tamil/blog/ad-block). You basically add all the sites listed and whatever others you want into an urlfilter.ini file that you create in your profile folder.

To block elements on a page, right-click on the page and choose "Block content" and click off the parts you don't want to see.

There are heaps and heaps of other neat tricks that Opera can do so if you are interested in learning more a bit of time spent browsing the Opera forums can be very productive.

Welcome to the Light Side. :cool:

wratterus
07-11-2008, 11:04 AM
In addition to Jamez's suggestion another way is to add bookmarks to the Personal Bar folder in Bookmarks and put that folder up on a toolbar. When you want to open all the pages, click on the bookmark and choose "Open all folder items".

I had figured that one out, just didn't quite do what I was wanting, is very useful for other things though. :D

I use Tamil's ad-block filter (http://my.opera.com/Tamil/blog/ad-block). You basically add all the sites listed and whatever others you want into an urlfilter.ini file that you create in your profile folder.

To block elements on a page, right-click on the page and choose "Block content" and click off the parts you don't want to see.

Sweet will give it a go.

There are heaps and heaps of other neat tricks that Opera can do so if you are interested in learning more a bit of time spent browsing the Opera forums can be very productive.

Welcome to the Light Side. :cool:

Thanks heaps for your help Foxy. Good to have you back. :thumbs: