PDA

View Full Version : NIC stopped working

Xavier
06-11-2008, 08:28 PM
hey guys i've got a HP dv2307tx laptop with windows XP loaded however one such error i'm getting is my NIC does not seem to work. data is sent but 0 packets received. i've got no idea what could be the problem. i called up HP and said its blown up but they rudely said it can't be fixed.

When i plug in the network cable, it tries to get ip address from DHCP but it dont work. like i said eg 10 packets sent while 0 received.

any suggestions? drivers are updated.

Speedy Gonzales
06-11-2008, 08:34 PM
Does it appear in device manager? Does it say its working in device manager?

Is it enabled in the BIOS??

Are the LED's on it doing anything? ie: Flashing?

Xavier
06-11-2008, 08:46 PM
shows up as working in the device manager. thre's a green light on but thats it. nothing else. even if i take out the cable and plug it in..nothing...anything else?

Speedy Gonzales
06-11-2008, 09:00 PM
Umm, is this connected directly to the net?? Through a router??

Or are you networked to another PC, to get onto the net?

And what did this have on it originally? XP or Vista?

Is there anything in device manager showing a ? or ! ?

georgeks
07-11-2008, 02:50 AM
What were you doing before it stopped working? What is your O/S? Looks like a software issue. Try installing windows again

gary67
07-11-2008, 06:37 AM
Do you have the network card drivers installed?

Xavier
07-11-2008, 09:05 AM
connected through a windows server 2003 at home which acts as our DHCP and exchange email server. everything used to work. I can't remember what i was doing to make it stop working. I can vaguely remember switchin off the laptop (start > shutdown) and then the next restart it stopped working.

I've since reloaded vista on it and it still has the same problem. as soon as you plug in the cable it says "identifying....limited or no connectivity". I type in a manual IP address and ping our server (10.0.0.1) and it still wont respond.

If I may add, i've had several issues with the heatsink on the laptop. they've replaced it three times so far and since its already over the 3 months extended warranty on the item they're gonna charge to replace the heatsink+mobo since i think the mobo is fried (or not) which is caused by the immense heat.

Also in the device manager it shows the device working obviously with the correct drivers installed. There are no ?'s and !'s. One thing tho, i was told by the techy that replaced the heatsink that these laptops were very problematic. I dont know how that can be used to my advantange without screwing over the HP tech guy.

Still not sure.

SolMiester
07-11-2008, 09:10 AM
Well, it is not uncommon for the NIC to fail, I have had several, however, a bit harder to fix when on a lappy.....is the warranty finished now?

Xavier
07-11-2008, 11:57 AM
yep it expired in june 08.

SolMiester
07-11-2008, 12:07 PM
bugger....

WarNox
07-11-2008, 01:58 PM
I would try connecting it directly to another pc with a cross-over cable, assign the ip addresses of both devices manually and see if pinging works then. Like that you can fully isolate the problem as being a faulty NIC card.

Xavier
07-11-2008, 03:53 PM
you are correct, i will have to do this. *creates cross over cable*

Xavier
08-11-2008, 07:58 PM
hey guys, yeah i'm not getting any replies from the laptop and the computer.. I am guessing the network card is broke :(.

rang the computer shop i regularly visit (XP Computers) in auckland and they've got a USB ethernet card for 22 bux so might just get that...

feersumendjinn
08-11-2008, 08:56 PM
Have you checked the network socket for bent contacts (worth a look).

WarNox
09-11-2008, 12:13 AM
Yeah I'd call it quits and admit defeat, the NIC is faulty! Just the fact that there is no flashing led on a live connection indicates that as far as I know!

$22 isn't much but a device constantly sticking out of a USB port might become annoying (as well as take up a USB port), if you got built in wireless why not use that?!

Xavier
09-11-2008, 01:40 AM
because for some reason, if i apply static ip address of 10.x.x.x (internal windows domain address) through a wireless connection, it does not talk to the server...

actually, i wont give up hope just yet. I'll try my laptop in a different network. I think my network does not want to talk to the laptop in anyway on the 10.x network...

sigh...*re-installs win2k3 server* :(

beama
09-11-2008, 10:53 AM
tried winsock fix, google it and download . Seems strange that both wireless and hard wired nics fail at the same time