PDA

View Full Version : Domain name redirect nameserver thingie

Morgenmuffel
06-11-2008, 01:23 PM
Yeah i know that has to be the worst explanation of what the problem is

Ok doke, i have set up a site for someone, went into freeparking where the domain is registered and pointed it at the nameservers of the hosting company, 4-5 hours later entering the domain name still brings up the freeparking page rather than the website,
Any other time i have done for other sites it has taken about an hour or two at the most, how long should it take?

CYaBro
06-11-2008, 02:10 PM
I have been told by my domain host that it can take up to 24 hours for the DNS records to be updated.

chiefnz
06-11-2008, 02:24 PM
Agreed.... we did a migration just last week and it took just about a full 24 hours for the new address to propogate through the net.

kersonan
06-11-2008, 02:42 PM
If the domain name was previously pointed at another primary and secondary nameserver pair, they may still be trying to act as authoratative.

if this is the case you need to advise the old name server that you have changed so they can drop their records and get copies from the new DNS host as some systems fail to notify the old provider.

what happens is that users of one set of DNS servers will be taken to a different location than others of the new (other) set.

stu161204
06-11-2008, 03:57 PM
Who's your ISP Nigel??

If your using Xtra expect it to take 24 - 48 hours to propagate

Morgenmuffel
06-11-2008, 09:12 PM
No worries it updated around 5:30pm, so thats all good

just threw me a shade as it took 7 hours rather than the normal 2-3, but thats still better than 24 - 48 hours

I'm with orcon