PDA

View Full Version : Word hangs when saving to an external drive

pixeldust
06-11-2008, 09:45 AM
Hi all, long time no chat :)

I'm currently trying to figure out why Word 2003 will not save directly to an external drive in this network environment (on any PC, to any Seagate FreeAgent drives). Saving to a USB key works fine.

When you hit Save, it creates a 0kb .doc file on the drive plus a temp file, and then hangs and stays that way until you end task the program. However, if you change the file type which Word saves to from .doc to .docx, it works fine.

Any suggestions?

SolMiester
06-11-2008, 10:06 AM
Rights I would think.....if you save the file to the flash, can you then save\copy to the external drive?

pixeldust
06-11-2008, 10:27 AM
There are full rights to the external drive, same as the USB key. I've just found that I can actually change the file type the default Format from Word Document (*.doc) to Word 97-2003 & 6.0/95 - RTF (*.doc) and it works OK too. Weird.

zcc
06-11-2008, 10:38 AM
Sounds like ms programming at work again.
My vista will not run any office program from the shortcut link on the start button, but will run them from the program group under the start button.
God knows, but Bill probably doesn't!

pixeldust
06-11-2008, 10:49 AM
Fingers crossed user is happy with saving as 97-2003 RTF as a solution, otherwise I have no idea where to go with this one!