PDA

View Full Version : Motherboard on the way out?

FoxyMX
05-11-2008, 11:58 AM
A few weeks ago I cleaned up an Acer Aspire desktop of various nasty spyware and trojans and diagnosed that the onboard sound was shot after the owner complained that it had disappeared one day when his son plugged in his iPod. I was then asked me to install a separate sound card and some more RAM, which I have yet to do.

Yesterday the owner brought it back again, this time complaining that when the power was turned on the computer tried to boot without the "on" switch being pressed but could not do so. The front lights start flashing and the PC keeps emitting one long beep.

According to the Award BIOS error codes this indicates video adaptor problems so I removed the video card and plugged the monitor into the motherboard's video port. The machine then booted normally but it still boots up when the power cord is plugged in rather than after the "on" switch is pressed.

The big question is, given these problems (sound and video card dying and PC booting when power turned on), is this a sign of imminent motherboard or PSU failure?

I don't have parts to swap out and test with so I don't normally do hardware diagnosis and repairs but in this case I have the sound card and RAM to install. Obviously there is no point in me doing so if the motherboard is on the way out.

FoxyMX
05-11-2008, 12:04 PM
The machine then booted normally but it still boots up when the power cord is plugged in rather than after the "on" switch is pressed.

Hmm....... it seems to have found its manners as it has stopped doing this now. :confused:

MushHead
05-11-2008, 03:06 PM
Most BIOSes have an option for what to do when power is applied - IIRC the options are OFF, Last State & ON. Maybe low/damaged CMOS battery is causing settings to flip?

SolMiester
05-11-2008, 03:36 PM
Or the actual switch on the PC case!