PDA

View Full Version : PC not always starting up

Mike
05-11-2008, 10:57 AM
OK here's what Ive got - new mboard, new cpu, new ram, new psu, onboard graphics, old hdd.

It worked fine for a few days, so sent it home with the owners. they phone up a couple of days later to say it doesn't turn on, so they drop it round to me and it works :) but 2 days later I get the same thing they get. When I turn it on I hear it all power up, but nothing else happens. nothing on screen, no POST beep. turning it off then on again doesn't do anything, but if I pull the power altogether then power it back up it starts fine.

So now I need to figure out what it is that isn't working so that I can send it back under warranty...

any suggestions as to what might be causing the issues?

Cheers,
Mike.

wratterus
05-11-2008, 11:08 AM
What I'd do first, is pull the whole lot apart, and rebuild from scratch. New thermal paste, the lot. Just in case something silly is going on, something wasn't clicked in quite far enough, that kinda thing.

Then see if it still happens, are you able to install a different motherboard into the PC to see if it still has the issue?

GameJunkie
05-11-2008, 11:08 AM
are the drivers up to date?

Mike
05-11-2008, 11:11 AM
are the drivers up to date??? lol I doubt drivers will have anything to do with it, as the PC isn't even POSTing.

Mike.

Mike
05-11-2008, 11:13 AM
What I'd do first, is pull the whole lot apart, and rebuild from scratch. New thermal paste, the lot. Just in case something silly is going on, something wasn't clicked in quite far enough, that kinda thing.

Then see if it still happens, are you able to install a different motherboard into the PC to see if it still has the issue?hmmm... yeah I could rip the whole thing apart I guess - maybe stick back one component at a time. annoying thing is that it can work fine for two days before it stops, so hard to tell if things are working again, but it may just have to be a long project.

don't have another mobo to put in (that'll take the cpu that's in there at least). I could put a different mobo and cpu in and see if still happens (the psu or ram would the prob be the problem)

Cheers,
Mike.

GameJunkie
05-11-2008, 11:21 AM
lol, sorry mike:o

Mike
05-11-2008, 11:25 AM
lol, sorry mike:o:D

Mike.