PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried Comodo Registry cleaner below?

Speedy Gonzales
05-11-2008, 12:00 AM
I've just read about it, it looked quite good. So, I downloaded it.

Its similar to ccleaner (shows whats in startup and does a registry scan / clean, but a deeper scan), but doesnt have a uninstall option, or clean temp files etc (yet)

Got a bit of a shock, when it picked up 740 invalid entries lol. So, removed them (it gives you the option to do a system restore point).

It does this automatically, if you say yes.

Anyway, rebooted, to see if it killed anything lol it didnt, I made it back here.

And umm yup, I did notice an increase in boot-time (it compacts the registry while its at it).

habu
05-11-2008, 05:39 AM
I used to have the Comodo firewall, and it was excellent. Never tried the registry cleaner though. As a rule, I don't generally use registry cleaners. IMHO, the potential 'rewards' (if any) are simply not worth the risk of hosing Windows.

Speedy Gonzales
05-11-2008, 08:45 AM
I know what you mean. I used First Aid lol I think it was yonks ago. Bad mistake

That was crap. At least this creates a system restore point. And you can revert back to what you had originally

nofam
05-11-2008, 08:48 AM
Haven't tried Comodo, but I've used PC Tools' Registry Mechanic for years now and I've never had any trouble with it. It finds a lot more than CCleaner (admittedly a lot of low-priority entries), and has a compact option also. You tend to get bigger performance gains with older machines that have had a lot of installs/uninstalls.

Reg cleaners do have their skeptics (much like defragging!) but I've got no doubt they work.