PDA

View Full Version : Tarnished 12V mobo connectors - random power offs!

PeterHS
04-11-2008, 10:33 PM
Hello, new member Pete here. My desktop PC with Foxconn 848PABS mobo and Task 520W PSU was randomly "dying" (turning off) on me. On internal investigations I found that the 12V 4 pin connectors from the PSU to the mobo were tarnished (only the +12V ones) and the plastic plug itself was discoloured (brown) obviously from overheating. I replaced the plug and the problem has gone away (for now). Was wondering if other members have seen this and if anything can be done to prevent reoccurrance? I must say I was surprised at how fine guage the connectors are for 12V and expecting quite high currents! No wonder appreciable heat is generated and my electrochemistry tells me that +12V will drive oxidation / tarnishing on anything other than gold, paltinum or rhodium! Also, "Speedfan" indicates that my mobo 12V supply is not so stable with the voltage measured varying from 12 V down to 7.4V. Again is this typical or have I got some current leak somewhere that is drawing high current, generating heat and dropping the line voltage? Interested in others feedback - cheers!

pctek
05-11-2008, 09:02 AM
get a new PSU, I wouldn't trust it.

tweak'e
05-11-2008, 11:02 PM
check the pins on the connector. they are proberly burnt and loose.
had the same with my old pc. cooked the mobo connector and the powersupply pins. most likly due to loose pins in the psu plug

wratterus
06-11-2008, 12:19 AM
Yeah, don't risk the rest of your components, get a new PSU.