PDA

View Full Version : HP drive key program

gary67
04-11-2008, 08:28 PM
have finally found this drive key making software, it's not where other links have been pointing to it's here (http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=US&swItem=MTX-UNITY-I23839). I have run it and been able to copy the boot files from a floppy to a flash drive that is 2 GB.

Then found the flash drive was reading as 2Mb so could not copy an ISO of Ubuntu on to it. Re formatted the flash drive as FAT32 and it's back to showing as 2GB. Am just experimenting on whether I can make the drive bootable, which obviously I can but it leaves no room to store further files on to it. Anyone come across something like this before? :confused:

Blam
04-11-2008, 08:31 PM
Wouldn't it be easier if you used unetbootin?

Speedy Gonzales
04-11-2008, 08:35 PM
Do you want it to be bootable, as in be able to boot into DOS??

The files from bootdisk (www.bootdisk.com) seem to work with some flash drives. Well the 98 bootdisk worked on the one here.

It may also depend on the brand / model. As not all flash drives are bootable either. So, I found out.

But then, if you do manage to make it bootable. The BIOS will also have to have the option to boot from USB devices. Again, not all BIOS'es can, or have the option.

The Sandisk cruzer 1 GB I've got here. All I did, was format it with their software, download one of the 98 files from the above site, unzip it then copy the files to the flash drive. Voila, it was bootable, and also supports CD.

But yup if you want to install or run Ubuntu from it, do the above

gary67
04-11-2008, 08:37 PM
Looked into that will be going back to it if can't make this one work, thought this would be easier as several people had mentioned it before

gary67
04-11-2008, 08:39 PM
Do you want it to be bootable, as in be able to boot into DOS??

The files from bootdisk (www.bootdisk.com) seem to work with some flash drives. Well the 98 bootdisk worked on the one here.

It may also depend on the brand / model. As not all flash drives are bootable either. So, I found out.

But then, if you do manage to make it bootable. The BIOS will also have to have the option to boot from USB devices. Again, not all BIOS'es can, or have the option.

The Sandisk cruzer 1 GB I've got here. All I did, was format it with their software, download one of the 98 files from the above site, unzip it then copy the files to the flash drive. Voila, it was bootable, and also supports CD.

But yup if you want to install or run Ubuntu from it, do the above

Yeah wanted to try and run ubuntu from it as a test to see if I could get it to work but ran into problem described in OP but run as in like a live cd so running from the ISO

Speedy Gonzales
04-11-2008, 08:44 PM
Looks like you have to burn the ISO to cd first.

Then boot from the cd, then install it, then do this (http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2008/11/01/ubuntu-810-install-using-the-built-in-usb-installer/)

Or chuck the cd in, within windows, then select the run in windows option then do the above?

gary67
04-11-2008, 08:50 PM
Ah thanks speedy had got 8.10 so didn't know it can be installed onto a flash drive downloading it now. Might go to the unetbootin as want sometimes run other ISOs too

Speedy Gonzales
04-11-2008, 08:51 PM
I thought you had the ISO?? Or did you delete it?

gary67
04-11-2008, 08:53 PM
I have 8.04 not the new 8.10 so having to download it

Speedy Gonzales
04-11-2008, 08:53 PM
Ah ok gotcha

But, yup its got the USB option after you install it. I installed it today (the 64 bit version), on the other PC here.

Only thing is, I may have to reinstall it, since I didnt select a swap drive (since there should be enough ram - 1.2 GB).

Then I found out (after I had installed it), the partition (even tho I could format it, its 30 GB). I couldnt create any folders in it lol). So, whats the point in having a 30 GB partition, if you cant put anything on the damn thing

So, I may have to reformat / delete that partition, and install on one partition (80 GB all up)

gary67
04-11-2008, 08:55 PM
gonna go now will install tomorrow

gary67
05-11-2008, 07:02 PM
Update using unetbootin' i now have ubuntu 8.04 running live from a DSE 2gb flash drive but only on the new dual core machine my old P4 comp although it recognises the flash drive kept giving a bot error but then that machine won't boot from cd either.

Speedy Gonzales
05-11-2008, 07:06 PM
See if theres a BIOS update for it, (the P4)

gary67
05-11-2008, 07:20 PM
Yeah thats my next move