PDA

View Full Version : Using an LCD TV as a computer monitor

Lizard
04-11-2008, 07:58 PM
With LCD TV's so cheap these days, is it worthwhile considering one of these as a replacement computer monitor. The reason it's attractive is to be able to use it as a no-fuss extra TV in the computer room, when the other main TV is occupied. Are there any issues with resolution, response times, etc?

Cheers

esayolay
04-11-2008, 08:25 PM
make sure your computer/TV supports the right plug first :)

Chemical Ali
04-11-2008, 11:05 PM
I've been doing it and I reckon it's great - you are (generally) limited to a 1366 x 768 screen resolution but it aint all that bad.
I have one (Sony Bravia 32" bought on special for $850) attached to my HEPC -- the screen quality is gorgeous on those Bravias! Media centre looks really nice on it. It also has a regular DVD player attached. I also use it for web surfing and word processing occasionally when the kids are monopolizing my regular PC.

Blam
04-11-2008, 11:06 PM
Whats your budget?

Lizard
05-11-2008, 04:49 PM
The TV I've found is a 32" LG, for about $650. It has the usual array of inputs, including a standard D-plug for a PC display. My computer is well past the upgrade stage, and the 19" AOC CRT is on the way out, so I figured at that price, if it services as a monitor, it could also do nicely as a second TV when I get a new computer.

I guess if the resolution is okay, and the response time (5ms) is good, and it's clear enough to read text and webpages etc, then it should be fine. My only other concern is the size relative to where I sit. My desk is quite large, and it would handle a 32" LCD, but the screen would only be about 70-80cm from where I sit at the desk. Would being that close make it difficult to see the screen effectively?

Lizard
05-11-2008, 08:29 PM
Thinking on it, the LCD TV doesn't sound like the best approach, so can anyone recommend a good 22" LCD monitor? C1 Shoppingmall sell the Samsung Syncmaster 2232BW for $400, which seems like a good price. Are there other, better brands/models/prices people can suggest?

Cheers

Lizard

Blam
05-11-2008, 08:38 PM
Philips (http://www.techcom.co.nz/product_info.php?products_id=4977) is pretty good in terms of quality IMO

And I think viewsonic's (http://www.nzoczone.com/product_info.php?products_id=7910) really good value for money, $288 for a 22"!:banana