PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Reinstallation Problems

kiwichris83
04-11-2008, 07:36 PM
I have a HP Pavilon Entertainment Laptop
I backed up all my data to an external HDD for backup..
wanted to format my laptop and start fresh as got new macromedia software from work and i had enough crap on my laptop as it is...

so i put in a recovery DVD that I made 2 of them...
and halfway thru the 1st one it stopped and gave me an 0cx000000f error...
and i took out the dvd and it came up saying cant find winload.exe as it might be missing or corrupt...and to contact HP Support

i decided then to remove my partition i made as that might be a problem, but partition magic saying Partition Table Error #105 found

I also downloaded an Vista Repair DVD and it says it cannot fix windows at this time...

I need this computer urgently as i have alot of stuff i require to do and laptop is an essestional tool..

AM running...well "was" running Vista Premium 100% legit
1gig ram, 150gig hdd...

Shop says they can send it away but it could come as a charge to me, but i'm hoping i can fix it myself...

Can anyone help?

I am prepared to lose anything on the HDD as its backed up to another external HDD

Speedy Gonzales
04-11-2008, 07:49 PM
Does it have a restore partition?? If it does use that

Or try what it says in the last post here (http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=667166&SiteID=17)

kiwichris83
04-11-2008, 07:54 PM
i've attempted the restore partition...same result....
i actually tried that website too - didnt work at all :(

Speedy Gonzales
04-11-2008, 08:21 PM
Connect the hdd to a working system (thats if it can boot at all). Then copy winload.exe to that folder

BUT, if its SATA, you'll have to connect it to a desktop with SATA (And one with Vista on it).

When you tried to reinstall Vista or whatever, you werent trying to install it on this external hdd were you?

Because, it looks like Vista wont install on external hdd's, it has to be internal

And what data exactly did you copy to this external hdd?? Just documents not programs that were already installed / or programs you downloaded then installed??