PDA

View Full Version : XP boot up issues

GameJunkie
04-11-2008, 11:51 AM
:help:

i have recently aquired on old px running xp pro, previous owners said there were problems booting so thought i'd have a go. first of all i opened the case and cleared out the dust which could cause problems. but when i booted up pc it starts fine until the xp loading screen appears in an endless cycle until and mesage comes up saying "windows could not start beacuse of a disk hardware configuration problem, could not read from selected boot disk". also the HDD was recenlty changed. has a seagate 20GB HDD.

apologies for long post
any help appreciated

Speedy Gonzales
04-11-2008, 11:58 AM
Did someone reinstall XP if the hdd was changed??

Because you cant install a hdd (if it had windows on it already), into a system, with different hardware, and expect it to work. It wont

If someone did format / reinstall XP, change the bootdisk in the BIOS to the new hdd. It maybe trying to find something, that doesnt exist

Or there's no OS on it

GameJunkie
04-11-2008, 12:03 PM
not sure if xp was reinstalled
can i reformat the HDD in the bios?

Speedy Gonzales
04-11-2008, 12:05 PM
No, you need the XP / windows cd, and the cd key. To format it / reinstall it

GameJunkie
04-11-2008, 12:18 PM
i have looked in the bios and found what drives it is trying to boot. in particular the HDD. pressing enter gives several options, HHD-0, HDD-1 and HDD-2. what one would i select?.

all i have with me is the xp sp3 disc:(

Speedy Gonzales
04-11-2008, 12:23 PM
Well if that XP cd you've got is only the SP3 CD (its not mainstreamed with XP).

You cant do a lot

See what the hdd appears under on the main screen (where it lists all the hdd's)

Hopefully, it'll tell you, whether its hdd 0, 1 or 2

Probably 0, if there's only 1 hdd in the case

Is it an HP / Dell PC?? If it is it may have a restore partition on it..

Press F10 or whatever to restore the system

GameJunkie
04-11-2008, 12:37 PM
have entered bios and selected hdd-0, no luck:dogeye:

as for the make the only info i can find is that on the front it says powered by albatron??

Speedy Gonzales
04-11-2008, 12:39 PM
Try this (http://www.xp-professional-recovery.com/xp-recovery-3.html)

The only way you can do this, is to put it in a working system as above. And see whats in boot.ini

Since, you dont have the cd

GameJunkie
04-11-2008, 12:49 PM
will have a look at it
thanks so far :)

dhruv94
04-11-2008, 01:13 PM
hey guys i think i can help here

about the windows xp disk ... well i dont wanna mention pirated stuff but if u want i can

other wise to format u can try a program called dariks boot nuke.. link:www.dban.org/

its a formatter that can help format anything and can boot off usb cd floppy anything

GameJunkie
04-11-2008, 01:19 PM
thanks dhruv94, will try this avenue

dhruv94
04-11-2008, 01:24 PM
no problem and um hey if you need help to get a windows xp disk tell me i can help u get 1,

btw what are the specifications of the cpu

GameJunkie
04-11-2008, 01:36 PM
it looks like the xp cd is the only way to fix this problem so yea :)

the cpu is amd, not sure what the specs of it are.. probably 1.5GHz maybe..
what i know is that the pc has a 2oGB HDd, 512MB ddr ram, cd drive and a floppy disk drive and XP.

dhruv94
04-11-2008, 01:42 PM
that is perfect!:banana

the only problem here is that i dont wanna risk getting banned so for the xp cd do u mind doing it over email since it does mean going into pirated things...

its up to u

Dhruv_was_here@live.com

pctek
04-11-2008, 01:54 PM
: xp loading screen appears in an endless cycle until and mesage comes up saying "windows could not start beacuse of a disk hardware configuration problem, could not read from selected boot disk".

XP says this? Or POST?

Was XP installed on this HDD?

If yes, then I'd just do a repair install on it, you can borrow and XP CD, the important and legal thing is the COA which should be stuck somewhere on the case.

GameJunkie
04-11-2008, 01:59 PM
XP said the words in quotation marks.
yea , i just need to get the disk off someone, maybe a freind of mine has it:badpc:

gary67
04-11-2008, 06:25 PM
Make sure if it;s XP home you get a home cd or if it's pro get a pro one they are not swappable

GameJunkie
04-11-2008, 06:29 PM
thanks for the tip, there's no place i can get a cheap copy of xp home that anyone knows of??

cheers

Jen
04-11-2008, 06:48 PM
hey guys i think i can help here

about the windows xp disk ... well i dont wanna mention pirated stuff but if u want i can

no problem and um hey if you need help to get a windows xp disk tell me i can help u get 1,

the only problem here is that i dont wanna risk getting banned so for the xp cd do u mind doing it over email since it does mean going into pirated things...

its up to uOffering someone help by suggesting or getting them access to pirated software is just as bad as posting the message. Please take the time to read the forum rules (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=81855) again. We have zero tolerance for piracy.

wainuitech
04-11-2008, 07:08 PM
thanks for the tip, there's no place i can get a cheap copy of xp home that anyone knows of??

cheers Does the PC/ Case have the COA ( product key) stuck to it someplace as mentioned by Pctek in post 15??

If so look to see if its XP Pro or Hm - I know in the original post that you mentioned it had XP Pro - BUT sometimes people get hold of pirated copies - which as Jen pointed out is a BIG NO NO for any help here.

IF you have the product key - that is the important part, thats what you are paying for - the licence, you can borrow the same version (CD) from a friend.

If you dont have the COA,then you can either possibly get a copy (make sure it's legit, with the COA/Product key) from Trademe if someones selling one - or some shops still sell XP OEM - Legally you need to purchase some hardware to go with it.

GameJunkie
04-11-2008, 07:12 PM
im not sure, but i will have a look for the product key tomorow and report back.
In regards to the type of xp , when it loads it gives me the choice of XP Pro i think but will confirm tomorow.

so i can use the same product key that a friend has on their version, is that what you are saying??

thanks again

gary67
04-11-2008, 08:18 PM
No you can only use the product key that is on that copy of XP installed on that computer, the key should be on the side of the case.

You can use someone else's cd but NOT their product key

GameJunkie
04-11-2008, 08:37 PM
ok , thanks

GameJunkie
05-11-2008, 08:36 AM
have found that the OS is indeed XP Pro, and have found what looks to be the product key, located on the PSU.

GameJunkie
08-11-2008, 06:45 PM
in relation to the product key i have found two sequences of numbers, one set with 20, the other with 25, which is the one i use?

cheers

Speedy Gonzales
08-11-2008, 07:23 PM
Well one will work one wont

XP's keys are usually 25 in 5 blocks of 5 characters. ie xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx

Why its on the PSU, I have no idea

GameJunkie
08-11-2008, 07:46 PM
i found the 25 number key on the motherboard, so it must be that one

Speedy Gonzales
08-11-2008, 08:01 PM
Hmm only way to find out is to try it.

Only thing is, if its not an XP cd key, youre stuffed. XP wont install

GameJunkie
08-11-2008, 08:07 PM
i get the dics on tuesday so we shall see

GameJunkie
10-11-2008, 08:08 PM
i have a new problem now, when i have turned the tower on, nothing appears on the screen.
i can hear the pc going but nothing on screen. i have tried disconnecting everything, but to no avail.

suggestions??
cheers