PDA

View Full Version : Sharing on wireless network

mogget
04-11-2008, 10:51 AM
Hey Guys,
I have set up broadband and wireless network, but I can't share files. Two computers running Vista Pro are connected (wireless) to router and internet. Both these can access internet, but when I open network diagram, each computer can only see itself and the router/internet. I have run through Windows Help for setting up file sharing several times, but no luck! Next to try...forehead v's keyboard!

SolMiester
04-11-2008, 11:40 AM
You need to tell Vista that it is on a private network, if it is on public it will hide itself. Once they are on private network you need to create some folders to share, instead of the whole hard drive of each PC. The PC's also need to be on the same workgroup, if you have 3rd party firewalls, disable to start with in order to get the file sharing operational, then edit any firewall settings

mogget
04-11-2008, 01:57 PM
Hey SolMiester,
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, the radio button for Public was selected, and sharing folders (named appropriately Sharing) were set up on both puters, as well as selected for sharing on each puter. I will try disabling Norton's firewall to see if that will work for me. Thanks for the advice!

wratterus
04-11-2008, 02:17 PM
I will try disabling Norton's firewall to see if that will work for me.

There is approx a 99% chance this is your problem. :) Nortons is horrible.