PDA

View Full Version : LGA775 or LGA1366

WarNox
03-11-2008, 10:36 PM
Hey,

So I'm looking a building a computer but not sure what to do about a cpu since intel is realeasing/has released their new Bloomfield chips.

Basically, around the $500/600 mark I can get either:
Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz quad core CPU Socket LGA1366

or:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550, 2.83GHz Quad Core
Intel Core 2 Duo E8600, 3.33GHz dual core 6MB 45nm

What would you recommend out of those 3 there and why? What is the difference between the Quad/Duo LGA775 in terms of performance?

They system will be used for gaming, maybe some light database work but will have virtual servers running on it too. Along with some programming etc.

Thanks in advance,

Gregor

Blam
03-11-2008, 10:42 PM
IMO I suggest the dual core, as not many games/applications will take full advantage of all 4 cores.

By virtual servers you mean something like virtual machines?
Not sure if VMs will take advantage of all 4 cores

Thebananamonkey
03-11-2008, 10:47 PM
I'd go for the i7, just so I could play around with it.

Remember you've still got to buy the board, and the triple channel DDR3 so it's not quite as simple as deciding between sockets. And if you want to OC you won't have a clue how, as everything is changing.

Also bear in mind that 2.66Ghz i7 isn't the same as you know with LGA775. They're quite a bit more powerful per clock.

WarNox
03-11-2008, 10:54 PM
Yes, virtual machines.

Without overclocking (which I'm not too fussed about for now), would a Core2 Duo system run a given game better than a Core2 Quad core? If the game isn't designed to take advantage of all 4 cores.

Because if they would run it the same I would spend the extra $100 to make sure my system is a bit more 'future proof'.

Would you say this is not a good time to go building a computer? But suppose you can always say that heh

Thanks again.

Blam
03-11-2008, 11:03 PM
Prices seem to be rising.
Economy problems I think:p

I reckon it would be the same speed with the i7 and C2D
but the C2D would prob be faster than the quad

qazwsxokmijn
03-11-2008, 11:04 PM
If memory serves the Core i7 does up to 30% better than competing Core 2 Quads in initial tests. Correct me if I'm wrong, though. I read the benchmarks a week ago I think in a rush.

Blam
03-11-2008, 11:18 PM
If memory serves the Core i7 does up to 30% better than competing Core 2 Quads in initial tests. Correct me if I'm wrong, though. I read the benchmarks a week ago I think in a rush.

If thats correct, then definitely get the i7:thumbs:

WarNox
03-11-2008, 11:26 PM
Ok I've definitely decided on the Quad v Duo but not not sure on the i7 :S

I'll have a look for those benchmarks.

But then won't all the other components for the i7 be more expensive? And less choice. As currently there is only 1 motherboard on pricespy.

Blam
03-11-2008, 11:39 PM
Depends on your budget really

Erayd
03-11-2008, 11:45 PM
Depends on your budget, but the i7 is substantially better - if you are happy to spend the $$, then get it. Just remember that you'll also need to buy DDR3 memory, and a board with the right socket & chipset.

WarNox
04-11-2008, 12:00 AM
yeah it all comes down to the budget I guess. ddr3 memory isn't cheap either.

I think I go for the q9550, since the q9650 is $400 more for not that much more spec wise.

Thanks for all your input!

memphis
04-11-2008, 12:11 AM
I would go for Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz quad core CPU Socket LGA1366 as it is faster then the "older" quads".:thumbs:

The good thing about quads is that you can be downloading stuff in the background and at the same time listening to music and email/chatting/surfing the internet and doing work all at the same time without any slow down's or lock-ups as you have enough core's to handle all the work!!!:thumbs:

F.Y.I. dual core will get phased out,quad core and more is the future.:):2cents:

memphis
04-11-2008, 12:22 AM
[quote=WarNox;723484]yeah it all comes down to the budget I guess. ddr3 memory isn't cheap either.

From www.pricespy.co.nz tonight:

1GB DDR3 SDRAM $52.98

2GB DDR3 SDRAM $126.00

4GB DDR3 SDRAM $272.59

Cheap enough!!!:thumbs:

Rob99
04-11-2008, 02:42 AM
I would go for Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz quad core CPU Socket LGA1366 as it is faster then the "older" quads".:thumbs:

The good thing about quads is that you can be downloading stuff in the background and at the same time listening to music and email/chatting/surfing the internet and doing work all at the same time without any slow down's or lock-ups as you have enough core's to handle all the work!!!:thumbs:

F.Y.I. dual core will get phased out,quad core and more is the future.:):2cents:
I remember Win98 and doing all that stuff, with specs less than 10% of that.

I would never pay the premium for the latest gear, I would either wait for the price to drop or buy 6-16 month equipment for a lot less.
You have to be honest with your-self, are you going to notice the difference between a really really nice computer and a really really really nice one?

memphis
04-11-2008, 04:17 AM
I remember Win98 and doing all that stuff, with specs less than 10% of that.

I would never pay the premium for the latest gear, I would either wait for the price to drop or buy 6-16 month equipment for a lot less.
You have to be honest with your-self, are you going to notice the difference between a really really nice computer and a really really really nice one?

Its the year 2008 and soon to be 2009 not 1998!!!Things have changed there are better OS's now,better programes,better games and people are doing different things with their computers now then what they did back in 1998 that require more powerful computers to run on,its called progress the way of the future!!!

You have to be honest with yourself not everyone would be happy with what you would be happy with.

:):banana:punk

Bozo
04-11-2008, 05:38 AM
Yes but you also have to realise that most applications do not fully support dual cores much less quad cores.

IMO it is better to go for clock speed over number of cores - unless you are planning to do a lot of video editing etc which actually makes use of multiple cores.

McRuff
04-11-2008, 07:29 AM
Go to this site. It list's lots of reviews of the new core chips, so you can make up your own mind.

http://www.nvnews.net/

WarNox
04-11-2008, 09:42 AM
That DDR3 ram is rather cheap, to be honest I didn't even look last night, just assumed :D

But then it still comes down to the fact that it is the first chip released and there is only 1 motherboard for it. How smart is it buying the first of something?

I agree with whoever said that there is no point buying the very best of something and I really do not think I'll notice the difference. I'll probably go for q9550, rather than e8600 as quad is the 'way of the future' and more and more apps/games will make use of all those cores!

SolMiester
04-11-2008, 10:01 AM
I dont know how anybody can suggest Dual over Quad anymore.....While the Dual may have a speed advantage, with more and more apps and gaming supporting Quad core, I'd be going for the extra cores....especially with VM's....

You must be in the States to pick up a i7 for $500, your pricing are very much better than our here. IIRC the i7 doesnt have much of an advantage over Penryn, I'd save the bucks and put it on the GPU if gaming...

Thebananamonkey
04-11-2008, 10:32 AM
That DDR3 ram is rather cheap, to be honest I didn't even look last night, just assumed :D

They haven't even been released yet... so the only board on pricespy is the intel reference design. Which is almost certainly rubbish. Toms hardware have just reviewed four other boards from MSI, Asus and Gigabyte, suggest you check it out.

Wait until there's a little bit out there before you buy otherwise you're throwing your money away.

DDR3 may be cheap, but triple channel DDR3? Have you seen that around? It's going to be expensive.

WarNox
04-11-2008, 02:13 PM
DDR3 may be cheap, but triple channel DDR3? Have you seen that around? It's going to be expensive.

So currently there is no triple channel ddr3 on pricespy?

---

I've read the lengthy review (19 pages) on the new i7 chips and they really do dominate. And as more and more applications are made to make use of the multiple cores they will become even more superior.

The i7 920, which is the one I'd get if I decide to go down that path costs just over $600 and performs better in most tests than qx9770 which costs about $2200!!!

I really do not know what to do now!

---

Which motherboard would you recommend for Core 2 Quad q9550? I want to be 1333MHz, support RAID and CrossFireX. Reasonable price, so say around $400.

SolMiester
04-11-2008, 02:38 PM
Did you read the game benchmarks, Nehalem has less cache than Penryn, although some of it is faster. Games love cache, so while some apps may work better <30%, some games will have none or poorer performance.

For the money, I'd get a Penryn when the Nehalems are released....

As for prices, you must have those figures wrong, the Nehalem will cost more than Extreme Penryn, anyway, no-one buys QX quads, they are prohibitively expensive. Core2 is easy to clock.......get the low cost 9550 or 9400 with 10 x multi and 266 bus and clock >4GHz.

Just saw the Nehalem prices, I am sure they are incorrect!

WarNox
04-11-2008, 02:57 PM
I saw the game benchmarks and they said it is limited by the GPU, i7 won't hinder a game but it might not improve it, as I understand it.

So you recommend to wait either way? Either wait for the C2Quad prices to drop as i7's are properly released or wait anyway till better motherboards come out with LGA1366 support.

Yeah I like the look of the Q9550, with a decent mobo and gpu she'll go just fine for my needs :)

WarNox
04-11-2008, 03:45 PM
Ok, so say I decided on the q9550. What motherboard would you recommend?

I've been looking at the Intel Eaglelake chipsets. P45 Looks like it supports everything possible. But which motherboard? There is plenty around, asus, gigabyte?

Thanks again.

SolMiester
04-11-2008, 04:13 PM
Well, 1st things 1st...what LCD panel do you have, this will dictate graphic requirements. Are you prepared to fiddle with Xfire or SLI drivers to get it working, or are you more of a just play the game type and go for a more powerful single GPU solution. This leads to what motherboard to get.....

WarNox
04-11-2008, 04:20 PM
I will get a 22 or 24" lcd monitor along with this computer.

Was thinking of just getting the Radeon 4850 for now but later might get another one so would like CrossFireX support on the mobo.

Erayd
04-11-2008, 04:50 PM

There's no such thing. All ram sticks are single-channel, the 'dual-channel' or 'triple-channel' refers to the way they are connected to the memory controller (and this is a feature of the motherboard / cpu, not of the individual ram sticks).

WarNox
05-11-2008, 12:42 AM
Alright so after a whole day (seriously) at looking at motherboard chipsets and reading the differences and whatnot I've narrowed it down.

---part 1---

Either a P45 or x48.

I'd get the x48 just because one day I will probably buy another radeon card and want to have it in crossfirex at x16.

But, x48 doesn't have the new southbridge ich10, while the p45 does. How much of a difference does that make, anything really useful included with ich10 thats not in ich9? I cannot find any useful information on that.

---part 2---

Once I decide on x48 (most likely) which board you think I should get? DDR3 or DDR2?

Thanks again

Gregor