PDA

View Full Version : windows update has corrupted computer?

Term_X
02-11-2008, 10:10 PM
greetings folks,

Tonight, i received a call from a cousin to come and check out their pc.

Got there and she said they cannot connect to the internet. Internet Explorer shuts down as soon as it's opened.

Tried system restore and a message comes up that it cannot be opened or similar.

Tried the last known good configuration and no go, well same thing, IE opens then shuts down.

Uninstalled IE 7 and reinstalled IE from add/remove/windows components.

This time IE window would open up but not connect. Couldnt hit 10.1.1.1 for the d-link 502t modem.

Checked network connections and it was blank???

I checked the event viewer and noticed it looked good, no red x's at all. Cousin said last time she could connect was 11am yesterday.

This is when the first red x appeared. The immediate events below which were around 10.55am showed windows updates and installation.

Based on this, i suspect that when she has gone to surf the net, she has interrupted the installation of whatever updates were supposed to happen and this has corrupted the operating system (MCE XP SP2).

They have had their pc for 2 years and never had a problem until now. I suspected a virus but i think it was the auto updates.

There is a restore function on the pc to take back to factory settings. Problem is that i tried to copy all of their data from My Documents to their data hard drive (they have boot drive c: and a "acer data" hard drive which was 70gb and 70gb free). Windows wasnt letting me copy and paste or drag and drop the files. At this point i was loathe to run the factory restore program and risk losing their files.

Decided ill come back tomorrow night and burn their data to a disk and try the restore program after that.

Failing that, i think theyre still under warranty so back to Harvey Norman.

Any other suggestions? Any assistance is much appreciated.

Cheers

Safari
02-11-2008, 10:15 PM
Could be this

Device Manager may not show any devices and Network Connections may not show any network connections after you install Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953979

Term_X
02-11-2008, 10:29 PM
downloaded the fix. see how i go tomorrow night :)

pctek
03-11-2008, 08:34 AM
g

Based on this, i suspect this has corrupted the operating system (MCE XP SP2).

There is a restore function on the pc to take back to factory settings.

If that is the case and the fix doesn't help, don't factory restore it. Get a WIndows CD and run a Repair install on it, that leaves their stuff intact.