PDA

View Full Version : Burning DVDs

bellbird
02-11-2008, 09:41 PM
I upgraded RealPlayer to RealPlayer Plus primarily to burn some video clips to dvd so I could watch them on my tv. Not having any success burning a dvd. and now I'm wondering whether my computer can burn dvds. I thought I'd ask forum members whether I have just paid for something I can't use before I go any further. I've tried using blank DVD-r and DVD+RW.

Windows Xp
HP Pavilion a1140a. It has Lightscrbe DVD writer/CDwriter.

GameJunkie
02-11-2008, 10:12 PM
try looking at this link that is specific to your pc, may help
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00365280&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=au&product=503172&rule=5349

cheers

wainuitech
02-11-2008, 10:47 PM
Try downloading DVD Flick (http://www.dvdflick.net/) - its free and will create a DVD from most formats to play on a standard DVD player. Full instructions on the site as well as in the help on the program.

The DVD's I use are DVD +R as some players dont like DVD -R.

Dont use DVD-RW's the failure rate is way to high, they are over priced and some players wont read them.

Blam
03-11-2008, 08:33 AM
What Service pack are you on?
And can you see the blank DVD/DVD RW in Windows Explorer

bellbird
03-11-2008, 07:07 PM
Ok 2nd try at replying, I take too long and it shuts me out.
The Link to HP - "At the time of writing Windows XP only supports CD burning". I couldn't find a date of the article.
I generally use DVD-R for dubbing from the hard drive of my Sony HX710 recorder.
I'll check DVD Flick.
I have SP3. Not sure what "can you see the blank DVD in Windows Explorer means.

I may have to get someone to go over all the (very confusing to me) programmes like Intervideo Win DVD, Intervideo Home Theatre, Sonic My DVD Plus, Real Player Plus etc. To date all I have done is burn CDs from my Itunes purchases. Everything else is a mystery and maybe there is a programme installed for burning DVD's. I never find much understandable help from "Help" or manuals. You forum members are always great tho.

GameJunkie
03-11-2008, 07:17 PM
What Service pack are you on?
And can you see the blank DVD/DVD RW in Windows Explorer

what i think blam6 is trying to say is if you open MyComputer which you would know displays all drives etc , is the disc showing up in the dvd drive.

i may be wrong but could be that

Misty
03-11-2008, 07:21 PM
Sonic My DVD Plus
When you open Sonic does it give you options to upgrade to enable burning of images and video ? If so it may only burn data dvd's. That's what I found - it seems that Sonic that comes with the PC or laptop only seems to burn data (so I got rid of it !)
Misty :illogical

Misty
03-11-2008, 07:46 PM
........however after looking further it seems that your Sonic is a more sophisticated version that my was -
http://reviews.cnet.com/software/sonic-mydvd-plus-4/4505-3513_7-20484705.html
so it should work theoretically !
Misty :)

bellbird
03-11-2008, 07:48 PM
Misty. The programme I was originally querying was Real Player. I purchased and upgraded to Real Player Plus with the expectation that it would burn DVD's. I'm working through whether I need some other software. I want to burn some video clips which I have saved in Real Player and am having no success. I've just gone to their website and sent a query.

Looks like I do need help. I may have a few programmes (like Sonic) all doing the same thing. No wonder I get confused.

Misty
03-11-2008, 07:56 PM
Hi Bellbird
There should be no conflict however as you are obviously not running Sonic at the same time as Real Player. Not like if you had two anti-virus programs then you may well have conflicts.

As a side issue from the main one therefore you have learnt that Sonic is a program available to you for burning. It may well prove useful at some time so suggest you keep it. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me will help you with the main issue.

Good luck
Misty :)

Speedy Gonzales
03-11-2008, 07:58 PM
Looks like you may need Quicktime and WMP 11 (http://real.lithium.com/real/board/message?board.id=realplayer&thread.id=22561)

And codecs

Altho, this worked for one person but not the other

I would use something else

dhruv94
04-11-2008, 01:06 PM
hi
no offence to those "real" fans outthere but real sucks!
what type of files are u trying to burn...

ex: vob, mp4.mov etc...

bellbird
04-11-2008, 10:34 PM
revisiting blam6's query which I think I understand now.
When I put a blank DVD-R disk in the CD DVD writer E drive and chk in My Computer the drive is listed as DVD-RW Drive (E) and dvd-r appears so I guess it is recognising the disk but then DVD-RW Drive (E) changes to CD Drive (E) ?? and when I then try to burn a video clip from Real Player Plus I get "A general error has occurred" "Disk is not writable". Does any of that give a clue to what's happening?.

wainuitech
04-11-2008, 10:43 PM
DVD-RW's are crap - I see it all the time, people complain the DVD drive wont write - 9 times out of 10 the problem is the DVD-RW.

Put in a DVD-R or +R and they work perfectly.

Speedy Gonzales
04-11-2008, 10:46 PM
When I put a blank DVD-R disk in the CD DVD writer E drive and chk in My Computer the drive is listed as DVD-RW Drive (E) and dvd-r appears so I guess it is recognising the disk but then DVD-RW Drive (E) changes to CD Drive (E) ??

Thats normal. On here, it does the same thing. Except my burner is called DVD-RAM drive, and it changes to cd drive, when I put a blank in.

Youre not formatting the blank with something first are you??

Because usually you dont. I think she means DVD-RW is the name Windows gives it WT (the icon). The blank isnt a DVD-RW?

On the 2nd line

When I put a blank DVD-R disk in the CD DVD writer

Blam
04-11-2008, 10:54 PM
If you just copy files to the blank dvd in Windows Explorer and burn them from there, does it work?

Do you have this update?

Install the ASPI Layer Update
1.) Go to Help -> About RealPlayer
2.) Click on Check for Updates
3.) Click on Drivers on the left
4.) Check the ASPI Layer Update
5.) Click on Install.
6.) Restart your computer afterwards

bellbird
04-11-2008, 11:17 PM
Speedy, thanks, yes you've understood what I was saying. No I'm not formatting the disk, just putting a new one in out of the container, it hasn't gone into the dvd player first or anything.

blam6, thanks, i'll look into the update tomorrow.

wainuitech
05-11-2008, 08:50 AM
Sorry I read the question wrong Bellbird - if the software update doesn't work try burning some other data to the DVD-RW, using a different program - not Real Player. Try some word documents, photos etc, see if the DVD will burn, it could be real player causing the problem. If it burns OK then the problem is a software related one in real Player - if it still wont burn then it could be a fault with the drive or the DVD-RW's.

I have another Video creating Program here that's meant to do the same thing as Real Player does in the way of burning, yet it always fails to burn a Video if I try (gets to 97% and comes up DVD not in drive). <--Words to that effect.
Yet the program creates the video perfectly, I use a separate burning program to burn the completed folders/files and they play fine.

bellbird
05-11-2008, 10:43 AM
I'm done with Real Player Plus. They have responded but all the links given to take me to solutions have been incorrect. They have now advised me to uninstall Real Player (best advice yet) and reinstall but even the link to that wasn't for the product I've paid for, it was for something with an ongoing monthly cost. I've asked for a refund.
wainuitech I've just tried the Sonic DVD Player Plus that came installed on my 2 year old computer and was able to burn one saved clip. It was an easy process but it seems that Sonic is very limited in the files it recognises Maybe there is an upgrade for that. Anyway, I'm learning as I go. Thanks everyone.