PDA

View Full Version : New Windows Installation Problems (Video & Sound)

raydan42
01-11-2008, 09:51 PM
At the moment, I'm enjoying a Windows XP set to the great settings, 4-bit colours, and 600x400 resolution. I have done some investigating, and found that the graphics adapter that came with the pc has no drivers. I've tried installing off the net, but it just comes up with nothing. Same with the sound card. Before I reinstalled Windows, everything was perfect, but Windows chucked me out because of the Windows Activation thing. (My PC never did come with a sticker, and I can't find anything on the Windows XP cd)

I've had to reinstall Windows because of a mix of virus problems, Windows crap, and an overly needed cleaning of my hard drive. Let me insure you that the virus was removed as completely as possible. I doubt that this is possible, but everything was back to normal, according to three different virus & spyware removers.

630 MB RAM
20GB C: & 120GB R:
No special graphics card, just the default that came with the pc. I forget the name.
Normal Genius $10 speakers, Plug & Play.

I would really appreciate anyones help, because I really need to work on Visual Basic, but it is impossible with the current state of my pc.:(

jwil1
01-11-2008, 09:56 PM
Make sure you have the right drivers is the main thing.

Have you rebooted after installing drivers?

Look in a program like Aida32 to see which video card you have, then google for drivers. Do you have another machine to access the net?

feersumendjinn
01-11-2008, 11:05 PM
You need motherboard drivers.
Is this a brand name computer or built-up?

found that the graphics adapter that came with the pc has no drivers. I've tried installing off the net, but it just comes up with nothing. Same with the sound card.
I doubt this is true, you just need to do a little digging :nerd:.

We need more details, eg integrated sound/video/network or separate cards, computer model or motherboard brand (you'll need to remove the side of the case to see this).

Don't know how you'll get on with the product key (activation?) problem, are you sure it's not on the box/folder the disk came in (looking for a 25 digit alphanumeric code in groups of five), there would have been a way to discover the key before you reinstalled, too late now.
You could ring Microsoft and see what they can do (if your XP is legitimate).

pctek
02-11-2008, 09:00 AM
A (My PC never did come with a sticker, and I can't find anything on the Windows XP cd)

I've had to reinstall Windows

If you haven't got the COA, how did you install Windows in the first place - as it asks for a number at an early stage of the install?

You need to first see if your PC has integrated garphics, in which case you need all the drivers from the motherboard manufactureres website - VGA will be part of the chipset drivers, or if its a separate card you need to look at it and see who the GPU manufacturer is and download drivers from their website.

raydan42
02-11-2008, 12:47 PM
I got the cd-key off another PC we have, but it wouldn't work in the activation, for obvious reasons. If I can't do anything else, I'll buy one, but for $257, it's a rip-off!

I checked on the motherboard, but there are no company names on it anywhere. (I got the computer off a friend) The tower has no name brand on it.

I do have another PC I can use, and it is connected to the net. The only problem is transferring data across (File Sharing is off).

Would that Aida32 be able to see the makes of the various components?

wainuitech
02-11-2008, 01:10 PM
The tower is not important - Look very carefully on the Board, there will be someplace the Motherboards model number, usually a selection of letters and numbers in larger writing to the other writing on the board.

Example: on an Asus board - P5E-VM

Failing that - are you able to post a clear picture of the board /components back here ?

As for the price of $275 - you can get it cheaper than that, some places still sell XP OEM - you may need purchase some hardware to go with it - More RAM will do.

raydan42
02-11-2008, 04:50 PM
I have finally located it - hidden behind some cables.

My Motherboard is a Micro-Star MS 6526. The video & sound are built in, as there is only ethernet & wireless adapters.

Speedy Gonzales
02-11-2008, 04:59 PM
Could be this mobo (http://www.msicomputer.com/product/detail_spec/product_detail.asp?model=MS-6526GL_L)

Or here (http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=searchresult&keywords=MS-6526&table=download)

You'll have to check, whether its the G or GL mobo

You should also install the INF / chipset drivers