PDA

View Full Version : Older laptop with large HDD

Nomad
01-11-2008, 06:44 PM
Hi, if I have a older laptop can I add a large HDD and use HDD boot software to overcome the limitation?

I thought it would be good to say, use the laptop for photo storage on travel.

Thanks.

Blam
01-11-2008, 06:56 PM
You probably couldn't really "add" a HDD as your laptop most probably only has space for 1 HDD
Your best bet would probably be to clone the current HDD and get a new HDD and copy the image over to the new HDD and install it into the laptop.

Or get an external HDD or a BIG flash drive

how many gigs worth of stuff do you need to store?

Nomad
01-11-2008, 10:15 PM
Its a P3, 20GB now, I want 500GB.
Yeah replace. Prefer internal cos less hassles for travel ....

Speedy Gonzales
01-11-2008, 10:18 PM
You may have to see if there's a BIOS update (if it doesnt support large hdd's).

Some older desktops and probably laptops if they had a small hdd,had one for a reason. The BIOS on it, didnt support a large hdd

It'll be the BIOS, that determines whether it'll detect / use a large hdd or not

Not software

Nomad
01-11-2008, 10:23 PM
I thought the disk management software provides a use for that? What does that software do Speedy :D

Speedy Gonzales
01-11-2008, 10:30 PM
What software? A BIOS update?

Well without a BIOS, you'll have a dead computer. You download the update (if there's an update), boot into DOS / whatever and flash the BIOS to update it

Whoever made the mobo may have added new code to it. So, in this instance, you can use a hdd bigger than 10 or maybe 20 GB.

If the BIOS on a desktop / laptop is too old, and you dont update it, (so it'll detect / can use a hdd bigger than 10 / 20 GB / whatever), it'll probably crash everytime you boot into Windows .Until you update it

Disk management software may let you partition a hdd, but if the BIOS cant read all of it, I doubt Windows will either

Nomad
01-11-2008, 10:32 PM
No I mean software that is provided from the hard drive manufacturer. Such as, Maxtor Disk Manager.

When I installed that in my computer some yrs ago .. upon bootup .. it was like a set of bootfiles ... prior to getting into windows.

Speedy Gonzales
01-11-2008, 10:40 PM
I have no idea what hdd software does.

I've never used it / had to use it myself.

I have used diagnostic software from Seagate tho, I think it was, thats about it

You'll probably use it, if everything is fine. But I doubt (if the BIOS couldnt detect a hdd bigger than 20 GB), that software (even if you tried) would fix it.

You would have to update the BIOS first

That software was probably used way back in the dark ages, when Windows came out or something. And you probably dont need it now

Nomad
01-11-2008, 11:01 PM
There does not seem to be a bios available. It sort of says 80GB but then, it says for the docking station and does not mention it for the main HDD.

If I go for external HDD - is there a limitation? Running off USB althou its just USB 1.1. Althou I could add in a USB2 PC Card.

I did see a webpage for HDD bios update. It sorta of listed specific brands and model of HDD. Generally speaking for laptops, if I use a HDD that is not listed, is it possible I could have issues?

Generally these days for a used laptop what can $500 or $250 buy me?
Just needing something basic that runs Photoshop or Lightroom and deal with photo's and basic websurfing and emailing.

feersumendjinn
01-11-2008, 11:55 PM
This is probably what you're after (is drive overlay software, think it hides the large HDD/s from the older BIOs' by making changes to the boot sectors, have used it years ago myself, have a feeling it slows disc access some).
http://www.ontrackdatarecovery.com/hard-drive-software/diskmanager.aspx
But it is $59.95 USD to download :eek:(used to be free :crying).

Nomad
01-11-2008, 11:56 PM
I've answered my own question ...
$500 can get a 1.7Ghz max 2GB RAM, $250 maybe 1Ghz and max 1GB RAM.. HDD appear to be around 80GB only ...

What I sorta found is that laptops the HDD are not that big even as new now .. supporting 500GB or even 1,000GB for laptop is still away maybe 500's in the v few... Maybe external HDD is the way to go ... or just a portable HDD with LCD.