PDA

View Full Version : Quality of recording sky onto a pc

davidmmac
01-11-2008, 04:56 PM
Hi There,
I purchased a Hauppage wintv HVR-900H a few months ago and since then I have been recording various shows (mainly sport) onto the computer for later viewing, however, the quality at which they record at is not as good as what i see on the tv. I use the bundled Cyberlink Power cinema 5 which records them in the mpeg 2 format. Is there any way of recording the sky picture in the same great quality as I see it on the tv? The coxial cable comes straight out of the decoder into the pc, and the tv is connected via the av inputs if thats any help.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Blam
01-11-2008, 05:21 PM
This is not my area of expertise-but AV cables will probably not produce very good results since it is analogue only, something like DVI or VGA would be much better, or HDMI if your PC and TV has the required ports.

Also, have you tried MediaPortal? I've heard PowerCinema is crap.
It might produce better results.

I would probably wait for bantu-he seems to be an expert with this stuff:thumbs:

Cheers
blam

davidmmac
01-11-2008, 06:10 PM
This is not my area of expertise-but AV cables will probably not produce very good results since it is analogue only, something like DVI or VGA would be much better, or HDMI if your PC and TV has the required ports.

Also, have you tried MediaPortal? I've heard PowerCinema is crap.
It might produce better results.

I would probably wait for bantu-he seems to be an expert with this stuff:thumbs:

Cheers
blam

Thanks for your help, I will download and try media portal.

CYaBro
01-11-2008, 06:45 PM
You're not going to get as good a picture using the coax cable out of the Sky box to the TV card.
Does the TV card have AV inputs?
S-video would be best.
The Sky box should have two or more AV outputs so you can keep the TV connected.

Bantu
01-11-2008, 08:17 PM
I have an HVR-4000 card hooked up to a UHF Aerial for FreeviewHD
BUT for grabbing Sky I use a PVR-350 card and that is hooked up to my Lounge and the plugs that go from MySky to the HDD Recorder I have splitters there and one feed goes into the HDD Recorder, but it is just composite cables. The quality is ok but it just records the channel that sky is on at the time.

I also have splitters on HDD Recorder OUT so can playback stuff off the Recorder.

I have two of these things or similar to this
http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/490c0ffd027ec254273fc0a87f3b06ba/Product/View/XH3373

One on the PC end and one in the Lounge, just by pressing buttons as to whether I feed from HDD Recorder to PC, Sky to PC or PC to TV

No other way to grab SkyTV since the channels are encrypted. I just grab what the TV can see. Works even for the Pay channels, although the HDD recorder can record Sky and burn it to a DVD I guess.

Oh and yes Power Cinema sux big time. I worked with Hauppauge and Cyberlink quite a long time back getting Power Cinema up and running when we first got Digital via DVB-S, testing patches for them.

davidmmac
01-11-2008, 08:26 PM
You're not going to get as good a picture using the coax cable out of the Sky box to the TV card.
Does the TV card have AV inputs?
S-video would be best.
The Sky box should have two or more AV outputs so you can keep the TV connected.

The tv card has a cable that it connects to which has 1 s-video, 1 yellow av, and 1 3.5mm stereo socket (I think thats what its called), however, when I have previously tried to get video through either the s-video or av sockets, each time I have been greeted with a black fuzzy screen (I was using power cinema). Our sky box only has one av output, but it also has 2 scart sockets. I shall try again to get video through the s-video and av cables again tonight.

CYaBro
02-11-2008, 12:52 AM
The tv card has a cable that it connects to which has 1 s-video, 1 yellow av, and 1 3.5mm stereo socket (I think thats what its called), however, when I have previously tried to get video through either the s-video or av sockets, each time I have been greeted with a black fuzzy screen (I was using power cinema). Our sky box only has one av output, but it also has 2 scart sockets. I shall try again to get video through the s-video and av cables again tonight.

For the best quality you really want to have a Scart to S-Video+audio cable.
Sky usually only give you a Scart to composite video+audio.

Bantu
02-11-2008, 07:24 AM
MySky has two Scart Plugs. One goes from Sky box to TV, the other Sky Box to HDD Recorder.

I use One of these on each of the three plugs going into my HDD Recorder
http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/490cabd00849d212273fc0a87f3b06b6/Product/View/P6610

And take a lead off to My PC.

I don't use S-Video as when I had the cables in my Wall cavities wired from Office to Lounge I did not think of putting S-Video in there, so for now it is just Composite.

My WinTV software with PVR350 Hauppauge card has to be set to Composite 1 and I record Sky using WinTV. I use the newest WinTV software on Hauppauge's site, it records to MPEGs.

davidmmac
02-11-2008, 03:53 PM
Ok thanks for the info everyone.
Tried plugging s-video and av cables into my usb tuner - av worked but the quality was even worse than the coaxial input.
Also tried media portal, however it couldn't detect my tv tuner (even after I tried installing new drivers), although I may try again later on.
Does anyone use vista's windows media centre? I'm going to upgrade in a few weeks and thought I might give that a go.