PDA

View Full Version : Re config X

kjaada
01-11-2008, 06:45 AM
Have mint one drive and to install Ubuntu 8.10 on another I need to reconfigure X.
Can I reconfigure from mint and accept the defaults without upsetting Mint.

Jen
01-11-2008, 08:40 AM
Why would you need to reconfigure X just to install Ubuntu? Each OS has its own X server and it has nothing to with running more than one OS.

Did you mean the bootloader, GRUB or LILO?

kjaada
01-11-2008, 09:55 AM
It is due to a bug the pre release had with Nividia cards and I understood it was fixed for the release which I have now.But when I get to the (what should be) the opening screen there is just a blank black screen so X has not started.

Jen
01-11-2008, 10:19 AM
Ubuntu cannot use Mint's X server, so there is no point reconfiguring Mint's xorg.conf to get Ubuntu to work.

To get this right, you have installed Ubuntu (as a fresh install, no upgrade) but you can't get the desktop to load? Do you get as far as the login page or does the blank screen appear before that? If you can log on, does the login page "blink" a few times before going blank?

Assuming you can get as far as the login page, instead of logging on, go CTRL-ALT-F1 to open up command line access. Log onto that and then view the x.org error log for any helpful messages. Do this by entering the following:

cat /var/log/xorg.0.log

The problem lines should have EE at the start of the line and be at the very end of the log.

kjaada
01-11-2008, 10:34 AM
The problem is with the live cd before I get a working screen and after all the "loading up"
has happened.The problem is well known from installs by many before the final release
c here:http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=ubuntu+8.10+black+screen.
I will now try to install from the cd rather than run as a live cd.

kjaada
01-11-2008, 11:13 AM
Installed ubuntu 8.10 and now get the log in screen.I log in then get a black screen.

kjaada
01-11-2008, 11:39 AM
Tried this "cat /var/log/xorg.0.log" and get "no such file or directory" AND yes the font and things were correct cause I tried all the combinations.
I have now given it away as it is a pain working between the 2 OS"s and will forget
8.10 in the mean time.

Jen
01-11-2008, 03:42 PM
Tried this "cat /var/log/xorg.0.log" and get "no such file or directory" Sorry, that was my mistake. It should have been a capital X:

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Note the '0' in Xorg.0.log is a zero as well.

It shouldn't be too hard to fix once you find out what is causing X to die. :)